Sand advice please!!!

Title 5 sand is supposed to be 1 to 2 mm particle size.

There are many types of construction sand depending on what you're doing. Utility sand is sort of course and would be about the same as Title 5. Title 5 is probably more expensive because it is graded (sieved) to be more uniform.

I use concrete sand in my run, so far I like it a lot, we put sand in the run about 3 weeks ago. You want to get sand that has little pebbles in it so the chickens can eat it for grit. To clean the run of chicken poop I zip tied 1/4 inch hardware cloth to a pitchfork type thing and sifted the poop out of the sand. But using 1/4 inch hardware cloth doesn't sift out the pebbles so it might be better to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth instead.
I hear that some concrete sand contains silica and when broken down that silica powder isn't good for us or the birds to inhale. So just be careful with what kind of concrete sand you are using.

I hear that some concrete sand contains silica and when broken down that silica powder isn't good for us or the birds to inhale. So just be careful with what kind of concrete sand you are using.
Yes, the concrete sand sold in the stores here in the stores is very different from the concrete sand sold by our bulk suppliers. We looked at a lot of sand before buying ours from a bulk supplier.

Back
Top Bottom