Sand area/pit in coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Lovesilkty21, Aug 6, 2009.

1. No grass in my pen; just none growing in the area where we built it. We threw a bag of playground sand in the corner of the pen for the girls the other day and they absolutely loved it. Need to go get more for them!

First they ate it:

[​IMG]

Then they took baths:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  2. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    Quote:Thank you for your post about chick digging in AZ!!! [​IMG]
    The whole coop and run will be roofed so it will be shaded and cool.
    I'm putting it in the coolest part of our yard even if my hubby isn't into the idea [​IMG] but where he think i should put it is way hotter and I'm not ok with that

3. allison finch

allison finch Songster

Jun 12, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I went to the home improvement store and bought a big plastic cement mixing tub. I put a mixture of playsand, dirt, sifted wood ash (from my fireplace) and a generous double handful of food grade DE in it. They nibble on it and LOVE dust bathing in it. It is under the tarped area of my run so it stays good and dry. The DE helps prevent mites when the bathe in it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    Quote:Thank you thank you for the post I'll check into the plastic cement mixing tub, sounds like a good idea. Glad to hear your chicken's like in and Adding th DE is also a wonderful idea thank you!!!

5. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I made a seperate 8' x 8' run just for dusting. i dug up some of the dirt in the middle and added some same.... They love it. I used some tarps to provide the area with shade for the hot days. It worked very well to get them out of the chicken house during the hot evenings.

[​IMG]

6. SportTees

SportTees Songster

Quote:Completely off topic but thanks for that idea- I have sand tracked all over my house! I would have never thought of bird seed

7. Lovesilkty21

Lovesilkty21 Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    Chandler
    The bird seed works great just don't let it get wet, need to be in a covered sand play box. Although we for got our a few time and the sprinklers got it [​IMG] but you can dry it out but it a good amount of work

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: