Sand as grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Uzuri, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Can chickens use sand as grit, or is it too fine? I'm not talking the real smooth stuff like you'd see in one of those desktop rock gardens, but rather the heavy coarse stuff that you get in tubes for putting in the back of pick-up trucks for traction in winter and mixing for concrete and stuff.

The reason I ask is that I've been carrying around tube sand in my truck for three winters and the packaging is clearly not going to last for a fourth. I figured I could dump the sand into a bucket, wash it several times to pull out any salt residue that might have been thrown up in the bed (though frankly, I can't see there being any in the actual sand; it's been wrapped in plastic all this time) and float out the really fine stuff, then give what's left to the birds.

We seem to have a really loamy soil, and it doesn't offer much in the line of small rocks.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I use "all purpose" construction sand, and the chickens love it - there are small pebbles in it for them to find, and enough sand for them to scratch around and make dust baths. ;-)

3. gkeesling

gkeesling Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Hagerstown, IN
    I put construction sand out in an unused steer feeder pan for my hens. The chickens love to do dustbaths in it. I suppose they could also get the larger pebbles for grit if they wanted to as well.

4. txchickie

txchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    Texas
    The chick grit I buy is really parakeet grit, and it's mostly coarse sand with small pebbles mixed in

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have been using all purpose sadn from home depot.It has some small stones in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by