Sand Baths

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by melandtodd, Aug 20, 2011.

1. melandtodd

melandtodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    So.......I thought that I had read just about every book or article on raising chickens when I stumbled upon someone talking about their chickens "bathing in sand"! [​IMG] I thought I was giving the girls everything they needed..appearently I am a bad mom. How do I set up this "sand spa"? Do I just pour play sand in an area? Do I get a kind of tub and fill it with sand? Is it any kind of sand or play sand? My 12 week old Australorpes thank you for making their life nicer!

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    what I do is I put any kind of sand and DE (but the finer the better) in a kitty litter tub with the top off

hope this helps

3. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I bought a big plastic large but low bin at Home Depot (it was in the sand area, I think used for mixing cement) and drilled a couple of holes in the bottom to allow water to drain through when it rains (but very little sand drains out, as it is sitting on the ground). It can hold 3 bags of 60lbs playground sand. They LOVE it! When they see me coming with a re-fill bag of sand they come running!

4. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I don't do anything. They find a dirt spot by themselves and waller out a hole and throw the loose dirt all over themselves.

The only thing we did once was the dirt was getting real hard from no rain so my boyfriend kinda tilled it up

5. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    The floor of my coop is sand. You want to provide some sort of sand bath for them because it will decrease the chance of them getting infested with lice.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I don't intentionally do anything either, other than provide them the entire property, where, according to their personal choice, they will dig and build themselves a bathing area at a whip stitch. Yes, the softer the dustier the better, apparently.

7. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    mine like to have dirt baths or sand baths in flower pots.
    You can fill them with dirt or sand and they will just in them and puff up and have a bath.
    Its very very cute to watch and its good for them because its their way of cleaning themselves and preventing mites and such.

8. newchick13

newchick13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2011
    Somers NY
    I got 2 old used tires from a tire shop for this...I am off tomorrow to get some sand (sand box sand from toys r us), will add some DE and fill em up! Since they are sitting on the ground, the sand should stay in but I think I'll have to replenish the DE once it gets wet. I have heard it doesn't do it's job then...

9. melandtodd

melandtodd Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    Bowling Green
    Thank you everyone for your input. I really appreciate mentioning the DE! Off to Home Depot/Tractor Supply for tubs and sand. Does everyone just order their DE online?

10. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    Quote:ya thats the best place to buy it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by