Sand Bedding???

ducklover87

Songster
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
So I'm investing in some more ducks and I was wondering what would be a better bedding to use other than pine shavings. I like the pine shavings because they are cheap and are super absorbent but I'm not sure it would work well with 20 ducks instead of just the 4 that I have now. The pine shavings are a pain in the butt for only 4 ducks though it's not that big a deal but with me getting more ducks I'm really not looking forward to cleaning the pine shavings all the time. So i've done a little research on here about what types of bedding there is and benefits of each one. I'm really interested in the sand bedding and was wondering if anyone would like to share any information on it. Thanks!

I don't think it would work great with ducks.
I'm using it with my new chicks, but with ducks, it would be wet. All the time.

Then should I stick to the pine shavings or is there a different more easily cleanable choice?

It seems the liquid would run right through it and you would only need to rake it occasionally. I started with just dirt, but died poop looked like the ground was clean, but it was slowly building up and maggots were living right below the surface. I ended up using straw, and put composting worms below. Its composting, keeps them warm, and when I eventually clean it out, they will have tons of worms to eat.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I use alfalfa hay. It's great if you can get it (I get mine free from a neighbor. LOVE her!) and it works great! I wouldn't use sand, just doesn't seem like it would stay dry.

Thanks for all the great information. I will have to try the alfalfa hay and see how that works.

It works for me, but I just have two ducks. I go out every morning and pick up the "clumps" that are wet with poop. I fluff the entire area and feel to see if it is wet. I do a complete bedding change about every week and a half.

Back
Top Bottom