Sand for coop floor?

What are opinions of using sand vs pine shavings inside of the coop?
I have 68 trips around the sun and tried a wide variety of bedding material.
I have now abandoned all of it.

Since I have stumble onto a wire 2" grid (wire the size of a pencil).I placed it over my coop floor. Similar to what is pictured below with 4"x4"x4" cubed blocks stationed under neath the grid on top of a tarp to form a drop pit it worked excellent all summer and I will clean the coop before winter sets in and things freeze solid. The grid even keeps your chicken's feet cleaner which in turn keeps your eggs and nest boxes less soiled. I live in Canada and am subject to -40º temperatures.
grid-floor-jpg.1182877

Clean up is simple replace the tarp with a second one. Spread the first tarp out in the sun to bake and dry. Then flex the first tarp over the compost bin and hose off any stubborn chicken poop. No too coops are exactly the same this is what works best for me and may not be suitable for every situation.

Easy Peasy Japaneasy.

Last edited:
My coop is small. 4x8 plus three nest boxes. Because of the poop boards, there is very little poop on the floor of the coop. They get scooped twice a week. So clean out of the floor is infrequent. Twice in just over a year. A bale of pine shavings is more than enough to give a three inch layer. And have plenty left to refresh the nest boxes if they get soiled. Where our coop is raised and not a stand inside coop, scooping would be pain. The full clean outof the shavings is done by opening the back and raking the shavings into a tarp. The tarp gets dumped in the run. In my coop article there us a picture showing the inside with the whole back open. So far so good.

Back
Top Bottom