Sand in a pen with ducks and chickens? Advice?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Fawkes, Sep 2, 2011.

1. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Do you find that sand in a pen with ducks and chickens works well? Or do the ducks muck up the sand more quickly?

Would putting straw around the kiddie pool prevent the sand from getting really wet/the kiddie pool from getting dirty quickly?

2. cooprunbuilder

cooprunbuilder Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    London
    best thing to put around a kiddie pool is either paving slabs or wood decking.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:I used pea gravel in my ducks' pen. That way I could easily move the pool and wash down the gravel which drained away. It is not as hard on their feet. And not as hard on my shoes to walk on it.

Now I have several pools around the garden area and I empty them right into the garden to better take advantage of the fertilizer.
    Plus moving the pools frequently saves the grass and prevents areas of muck that kills everything and will stink in hot weather.

4. Fawkes

Fawkes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Ah yes pea gravel and paving slabs sounds a much better idea than straw! I'll probably use pea gravel around the kiddie pool, paving slabs UNDER the kiddie pool, and sand everywhere else. Thanks!

5. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    Hi i used slabs around my pool as the ducks can make a real mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by