Sand in brooder

This is my first time with chicks but I have 4 adult ladies outside. I am researching sand vs shavings. They will be in the house for 4-6 weeks. I really don't like the idea of the dust. But I found this in researching pros and con's to sand. Kind of changing my mind against it.

It's the equivalent of Equine Pine. We use Tractor Supply's house brand. It's pelletized pine pellets. Kills the smell, turns to sawdust when wet. We have Maine Coon Cats all about the size of miniature schnauzers so regular cat litter was impractical. We use cement mixer bins for litter boxes and the horse bedding as litter.

This is my first time with chicks but I have 4 adult ladies outside. I am researching sand vs shavings. They will be in the house for 4-6 weeks. I really don't like the idea of the dust. But I found this in researching pros and con's to sand. Kind of changing my mind against it.
. I used sand for the first week for my 15 chicks, love it! you clean with a fork type of thing its like playing "zen box" I likes it no mess not dust very nive for the babies, second week switch to pine shavings. because the poop is just too much work to clean while I keep them inside a cage i made for them. third week To fifth I will keep them in the cage then they go outside in a nice chicken coop, also no tap water, I gave them only spring bottle water with a drop of organic apple vinager, all have been healthy no chicken poor in their rear no stinking poops neither, I also feed them no GMO food H&R. high protein. no antibiotics feed trash. my chicks are organic.

Last edited:
I also put the shavings with a little box of sand for them to bathe. they love it. so cute
1f423.png
1f423.png
1f423.png

always used play sand from when we built a sandpit there was some left over the chickens love it and I know its clean whereas with construction sand you cant always be sure

I live in Florida about 10 minutes from the beach. Has anyone else used natural beach sand and if so, how did the chicks react? I am getting my first chicks Monday (one or two days old) and I don't plan on putting shavings or sand in for the first day or two, just shelf liner (of course, food, water and a heat pad with a receiving blanket over it). I have heard good and bad things about pine shavings and with the beach right down the road I figure it would save some money and be a little less dusty. We also have left over washed play sand so any previous experience/advice is much welcomed!

when I used sand it kind of turned the poo into cement and stuck to their feet

try puppy training pads and sawdust

pingu

Back
Top Bottom