Sand in Coop warm enough in winter?

GwenM

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 26, 2013
Bucks County, PA
First time chicken owner....We just purchased chicks 2 weeks ago, chicken coop is almost done and we are trying to decide what to use in coop and run. I definitely want to use sand in the run, but should I do sand in the coop as well? I worry that in the winter time the sand would be so cold (live in PA outside of Philly). Does this present a problem with anyone else? I have read so many threads and I have never read anyone else concerned about using sand in the winter time. Sorry if this seems like a dumb question...

I am assuming for the nest boxes should I use straw or pine shavings?

You will be much more happy with pine chips in the nest boxes rather than straw. Make sure your coop floor is high and dry. During cold nights your birds will be up on the roost bars. You can make those wide so that they can cover their "feetsies". You can add a few plywood covered pallets on the floor to give your birds some options. Good Luck!

I think you are right. I think it is colder on their feet in the winter. I like sand in the part of my run that doesn't have grass, but I'd never put it in the coop here. Some materials are colder to stand or sit on than others in cold weather. Think about different materials you stand on in bare feet or sit on in different types of weather. Wood is always a more comfortable temperature than concrete, sand or metal. There used to be threads about this a few years ago.

I was wondering the same thing, then I found that you could put straw on top of the sand but not pine shavings during the winter or especially wet days/nights. When I get the money I will be using sand but shavings in the nest box. Good luck with everything!

I know that many are fans of sand in the coop, but I am not one of them.

In my hen house, I espouse the deep litter method of bedding, and use a comination (whatever is available at the time) of dry leaves, straw, old hay, and wood mulch. Very easy on the chickens' feet. Less cold conductivity than concrete, stone or sand.

My fenced run is too big to buy and use sand. I figure that chickens developed on dirt, grass, weeds, etc, sand included, so they get whatever is naturally out there. I add wood mulch as available during the winter so they have stuff to scratch around in. Keeps them busy and happy.

I live just outside of Philly and am wondering where you got your sand? I'm doing the same thing--pine shavings in the coop and want to do sand in the run.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Back
Top Bottom