Sand in coop

Bahr09

Chirping
12 Years
Jul 7, 2009
Who has sand for their coop and do you like it? Thinking about using it. Also what kind of Sand is ok to use? At menards I see mason sand, handy sand, sand mix among others and not sure what to get

I have sand in the coop, but not in the run. My coop is elevated, so I don't have to worry about the sand getting wet. We get quite a bit of rain.
I love it as it has made cleaning so much easier. I just scoop the poop with a kitty litter scoop once a day.

I bought all purpose sand at Lowes. I kept reading that you needed construction grade sand, but it wasn't labeled as such. So I checked the size of the sand. You want sand that is not fine, but more coarse textured.

I have sand in the coop, but not in the run. My coop is elevated, so I don't have to worry about the sand getting wet. We get quite a bit of rain.
I love it as it has made cleaning so much easier. I just scoop the poop with a kitty litter scoop once a day.

I bought all purpose sand at Lowes. I kept reading that you needed construction grade sand, but it wasn't labeled as such. So I checked the size of the sand. You want sand that is not fine, but more coarse textured.
How often do you totally change out the sand?

All purpose sand works. Play sand is usually finer texture. You do not want the silica sand used for mixing mortar.

I get construction/fill sand from the local concrete and masonry yard. Can get a half yard for $13.25. Pretty much fills my 1/2 ton Toyota pickup.

I don't use it exclusively in the run but I do have a tub of it in there like a dust bath. Some of it is coarse enough they probably are eating like grit.

How often do you totally change out the sand?

My chicks are almost 12 weeks. I switched to sand when they were about 7 weeks old. I haven't had to change it all out yet. I just scoop daily. It is starting to get little pieces of poop that are too small for the scoop, but it isn't too bad yet. I am guessing I will switch it out in about a month or so.

No sand for my girls. Pine shaving in the raised coop. Poop boards with PDZ. Scoop every five days or so. Remove shavings every six months. Moved to run. The run is DLM. No muss, no fuss. No smell.

I love using "builders" or "all purpose" sand! I use it in both coop and run. I tried a kitty litter scooper but the slats were too big to collect all the small poop pieces (I stil use the kitty litter scooper in the coop for big night poops). Googled better ideas but didn't see anything that didn't cost an arm and a leg (looked like golf course type sifters).
Sooooo.... I made my own! I took a smaller pitchfork and fastened the smaller hardware cloth around it. At first I wrapped it around completely (making 2 layers total, one on top of fork and one under) but found it was too tight and didn't let the "clean" sand drain easily. So I attached one layer to top of it only. Works like a charm and you don't need to bend over!

I was going to do sand but I put the flock in there this week with the dirt floor on the run and they absolutely love digging and scratching in it.
It’s fully covered and I have great drainage, the earth around my house is basically a rock pile.
So for now I’ll be keeping it natural.

Back
Top Bottom