Sand in coop

I use a coarse play sand in my enclosed runs. Everything I've read says use construction sand or river sand......well, if I could afford it I would. This sand that I use is not "dusty" and it rakes really good. I don't use hay cause I sprinkle DE on the sand and all my kiddos can dust bathe wherever they want. I'm sure the sand I use is not the "correct" sand to use but it works for me!!!

I looked into that the other day and read that the beach sand was the best. I took two 5 gal buckets down to my local landscaping company and filled them up. It only cost me $3.50 per bucket.
I also learned that some people will put that on the ground so water will soak in, but some also use ground straw because it's a good absorbant. So, I use the sand in the dust bath and the straw on the ground. That way it doesn't smell, and absorbs moisture, and it'll bread down into the soil eventually.

What kind of bedding you use may depend on how you manage the manure.
This is about cleaning, but covers my big picture

-I use poop boards under roosts with thin(<1/2") layer of sand/PDZ mix, sifted daily(takes 5-10mins) into bucket going to friends compost.
-Scrape big or wet poops off roost and ramps as needed.
-Pine shavings on coop floor, add some occasionally, totally changed out once or twice a year, old shavings added to run.
- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
-Nests are bedded with straw, add some occasionally, change out if needed(broken egg).
There is no odor, unless a fresh cecal has been dropped and when I open the bucket to add more poop.

That's how I keep it 'clean', have not found any reason to clean 'deeper' in 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom