Sand in inclined run... how will this work?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LaurelRidgeDreams, Sep 26, 2010.

1. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Will sand stay in place in a run that's inclined? I'm thinking about how to minimize the mud this winter. I've wondered about mats, wire, or something to put down under the sand. All ideas are appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You might have to figure out how to do some terraces like we farmers do on a field with too much slope......just depends on how much slope you're dealing with.

3. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm getting ready to buy about 4 bags of sand to lightly sprinkle on top of my Silkie's run (very lightly sprinkle). Last spring I had to do that for my Buff Orpingtons and Golden Sex Links' run because hearing their little feet splat splat splat loudly wasn't nice!

My runs are hilly. There wasn't a problem. It made a huge difference. Their feet were cleaner, and no more splatting.

But I took about three 5 gallon detergent pails full of sand from our sandbox and spread them down their little runway (not over the whole run) which was about 3 feet by 20 feet. That's how lightly I spread it. Just a coating.

But if you got torrential rains, that too would probably wash away on a hill. [​IMG]

4. chartssss34

chartssss34 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Quote:here is an idea... i have a run that slops down..this is what i did

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by