20230309_152855.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20230309_152855.jpg
    20230309_152855.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230309_152915.jpg
    20230309_152915.jpg
    893.3 KB · Views: 4
I went to my local sand and gravel company and told them I needed sand for my coop, because I bought bagged, construction sand, and it was way too fine. He knew exactly what I needed, and brought me some. It's perfect! I'll never buy bagged sand again. And it cleans like a dream!

Editing to add: I use this to scoop it (I'm a daily scooper). My coop never stinks. I do use pine shavings in the run, because I think it's probably cozier. While in the coop, the girls are typically on their roosts or in the nesting boxes

View attachment 3419860
Thats how I've always done it and I can't believe anyone has a problem with a sand run. I wouldn't do it any other way.

I'm in kentucky, humid summers, and sand works fabulous for me. Doesn't have to be in just dry desert areas. Contractors sand from home depot. I'm old and little, so don't want to be carrying wheelbarrow of wood chips, scraping them out, replacing, etc. The same 10 bags of sand I put in my coop 9 years ago is still there, use a cat litter scoop every day, takes less than 5 minutes to clean a 12x14? coop with 11 chickens. (Bad with measurements, hubby not awake to ask) Every couple years I might have to add another bag. Would never have it in the run though where rain might come in the sides, it would have to be turned and turned to dry it back out. I compost in my run instead. You are right though, that's where their feet get filthy at, in the leaves, paper, wood chip,etc mix.

Last edited:
I'm in kentucky, humid summers, and sand works fabulous for me. Doesn't have to be in just dry desert areas. Contractors sand from home depot. I'm old and little, so don't want to be carrying wheelbarrow of wood chips, scraping them out, replacing, etc. The same 10 bags of sand I put in my coop 9 years ago is still there, use a cat litter scoop every day, takes less than 5 minutes to clean a 12x14? coop with 11 chickens. (Bad with measurements, hubby not awake to ask) Every couple years I might have to add another bag. Would never have it in the run though where rain might come in the sides, it would have to be turned and turned to dry it back out. I compost in my run instead. You are right though, that's where their feet get filthy at, in the leaves, paper, wood chip,etc mix.
We are just over the river in Pike County, Ohio. We have natural, washed, coarse grain river sand that we get by the dump truckload from our local quarry. Our environment is hot and wet in the summer and cold and wet in the winter. Sand works well to keep all my girls feet dry and clean. The run is covered, so the sand stays dry. I don’t change it, but every few years we add to it. I use a long handled metal wok spider to scoop the poop twice a day. Our soil is all clay, so the compost pile gets spread out over the area to break up the clay. The sand in the coop is a couple of inches deep and is mixed with Sweet PDZ. The sand in the run averages 8” deep at the far end and about 4” closest to the coop (the land slopes). I love it, even though it is dusty.

A4765CD8-371A-4299-BDB1-2278184D8D50.jpeg

82B4D90C-B0FC-49A8-A855-8A1DB189540A.jpeg

0E1BD6A0-49CA-4D51-BE4F-7B4AEA460F5D.jpeg

I went to my local sand and gravel company and told them I needed sand for my coop, because I bought bagged, construction sand, and it was way too fine. He knew exactly what I needed, and brought me some. It's perfect! I'll never buy bagged sand again. And it cleans like a dream!

Editing to add: I use this to scoop it (I'm a daily scooper). My coop never stinks. I do use pine shavings in the run, because I think it's probably cozier. While in the coop, the girls are typically on their roosts or in the nesting boxes

View attachment 3419860
We have coarse sand and a long handled scooper as well, and so far, after chickening for only 2 months, I'm satisfied! I may add some wood chips for the chicken's entertainment, but maybe not!!

I've had sand for three years in my SoCal coop and it's been great. The poop desiccates, I use a cat litter scoop in the roost, and a rake in the run. But these last couple months of downpours have really soaked the sand. I did a couple things to test - on one side, I raked in a large bag of hemp shavings, and that has been great! No dirty feet at all, and the sand stays loose. On another side I put down excelsior pads meant for swamp coolers to keep the girls up an off the wet sand. The huge pads cost $7 and when they get gross I pull them out in one big piece and toss them. As soon as we dry out I will clean out everything and start with new sand for the summer. I never have a smell -except for after one sold week of rain before I added the above mentioned amendments.
Good to know! Our sand filled run is covered and dry in Eastern Washington, but come winter we'll discover what the wind and snow will do, blowing in on the sand. We have a couple of old mesh type window shades we may have to mount on the run sides to keep the run dry. I have a bag of hemp bedding waiting for winter as well. We've only had our hens for 2 months. At this point, we're doing all we can to keep them cool enough. Winter will be a whole new thing!

Good to know! Our sand filled run is covered and dry in Eastern Washington, but come winter we'll discover what the wind and snow will do, blowing in on the sand. We have a couple of old mesh type window shades we may have to mount on the run sides to keep the run dry. I have a bag of hemp bedding waiting for winter as well. We've only had our hens for 2 months. At this point, we're doing all we can to keep them cool enough. Winter will be a whole new thing!
The best thing to do is wrap your run in clear plastic sheeting. You can buy it by the 100’ roll from Amazon or get it at your local hardware or feed store. Another alternative is to use clear plastic shower liners that you can get at Walmart or the dollar store. I use a combination of both.

IMG_5803.jpeg

That’s what I had - wood chips. I hope I don’t regret the sand. Do you think what I have is ok for them?
The type of sand to use is called "washed construction-grade" and found at quarries. Check to see if you have one of these in your area. It a place where they pull sand and gravel from the gound and sell by the truck load!

Back
Top Bottom