Sand in the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Wyatt0224, May 10, 2016.

1. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Hello everyone! For my run/coop we have a fairly medium size run for a lot of chickens with more to come and between them walking constantly and pooping and the mud from all the rain we've been getting the grass and run is starting to look really bad. So I was wondering if an idea to solve this would be to use sand? I know I could just scoop up their poop. Do you guys think this would work or no?

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Yes sand is great. You might also consider a deep litter. This is a litter filled with many different materials, wood chips, grass clippings, compost material. It allows the poop and waste to decompose more naturally.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I like sand. We get ours by the ton (or 3/4 ton) from a local landscaping business - sooo much cheaper than buying it by the bag. In my area, sand is about $20 a ton, which is dirt cheap in my opinion. I get the rough stuff with a bit of pea gravel mixed in with it (can't remember what they call it). I do think it helps, although it will have to be replenished/topped off as time goes by...

4. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    Right of course. In my area it has been torrential down poor nonstop for the past couple of weeks and now the run is starting to show it.

5. puffypoo22

puffypoo22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachussetts
    Sand is a good idea. Our coop is built on an old slab of concrete so we use sand under the shavings to keep the ground soft and protect the hens feet.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by