1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand in the run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GLBRWyans, May 27, 2011.

1. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    I am going to use sand in the coop area . What to get , kid's play sand , concrete sand ...???.... they won't overdose on it , if they eat it for grit will they ? [​IMG]

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use plain old quarry sand and do just fine. They will pick some but just what they need and won't confuse it with feed. Makes clean up a breeze with sand, a leaf rake, and a kitty litter scoop, huh

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  3. MrJesse34

MrJesse34 Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2011
    Long Valley
    Quote:I bought it by the bag. They had play sand, and also other cheaper generic sand. I used both. No difference as far as I can tell and no issues with the chickens at all.

4. GLBRWyans

GLBRWyans Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    Central Louisiana
    Quote:I bought it by the bag. They had play sand, and also other cheaper generic sand. I used both. No difference as far as I can tell and no issues with the chickens at all.

Thanks to you all for the response .[​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  5. sassifrassi

sassifrassi Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2010
    Toronto
    Quick question for those using sand...
    My chicks are six weeks old. Will their poop get bigger? I am finding that their poop falls through the cat litter scoop and a rake is usless to pick up their small poops. I have had to tape some window screening to the cat litter scoop for it to be effective but it makes clean-up that much more tedious.[​IMG]
    PS - I've never had chickens before therefore the question.
    Thanks!

6. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    Quote:I've been wondering the same thing - the cat scoop is a PITA! But maybe they will grow into it. We got a reptile scoop too, but it's too fine for the grit sized pebbles I put in there. Still trying to figure it all out.

7. Crazy4mypeeps

Crazy4mypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Nebraska
    Yes, their poo will get bigger and easier to pick up with the litter scoop. I have some that poo piles as big as their eggs. LOL

8. BlueBetween

BlueBetween Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Near Seattle
    Quote:oh, good times. something to look forward to [​IMG]

9. Quote:oh, good times. something to look forward to [​IMG]

[​IMG] We're now on round 2 for the tractor, although this one may be too big to move around. [​IMG] So, I am definitely thinking sand in the run and inside, to help with smell, etc.

Do y'all have a lot of wind? We have a lot of wind. And I do mean *a lot*. Like, hurricane force winds, dust storms and brown sky. We often say we have two seasons- windy and hot and windy. [​IMG] It's nothing to get sand blasted outside, literally.

My biggest concern is if this is all going to blow around and be a problem. I'm thinking I can water it down to help on the really bad days, and inside won't be a problem. But I'd hate to put all that down, lose it the next day and give my neighbors a really great, free sandbox. Anyone have experience with sand and a lot of wind?

Tikki [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by