sand instead or sawdust for bedding?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ninny, Sep 9, 2008.

1. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    sorry if this shouldnt go here but i was wondering if you could use sand as bedding?

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I am in Florida and just recently cleaned out all of the shaving from each coop and replaced it with bagged white play sand. At first, the chickens didn't like it...I'm sure it felt funny under their feet. Now the love it. So do I. It's definitely cleaner and more absorbent.

3. ravenfeathers

ravenfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    vermont
    there's a lot of good information about sand as a bedding in the coop building subforum. [​IMG]

4. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    The base of my coop is sand and dirt with straw and dead leaves on top. Deep litter method and it's working well.

In the garage I had a base of sand for the first 3 weeks I had meat chicks. I placed paper towels on top for the first 3 days then added straw. Worked well for a couple more weeks till I had to move them to a bigger location.

5. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    Our chicken coops all have a sand floor Where we live its that or wood or concrete Our farm is called Sugar Sand Farms and that is the reson. I find the sand absorbs the smell Also you don't have to buy grit LOL

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Our hens had the same reaction when DH lpoured bags of playsand in the run. They adjusted and we love it. Definitely less stinky since the poop dries up faster.

Watching the hens try NOT to walk across the sand was hilarious. Like watching a cat dealing with snow for the first time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by