Sand-like bumps on my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hisdaughter, Dec 9, 2012.

1. hisdaughter

hisdaughter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    Lakeland
    Recently my Copper Maran hen has been laying eggs with sandy, grit-like bumps on the outside. They are the same color as the shell, a beautiful copper brown just lumpy. She's not done this before so I am wondering if its ok or a sign that there is something wrong. All of my hens are free range but I also feed them Manapro layer formula. Please advise

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I think it is just extra calcium that has built up on the shell. Nothing to be worried about.

3. Becci

Becci Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    AL
    Would it be possible to post a picture?

Shells that feel gritty (like sandpaper, almost) can be caused by a number of things that I'm aware of. Disturbance during laying, inheritance, really old or young hens, drastic change in environment or daylight hours, disease - such as Infectious Bronchitis etc.

It sounds like extra calcium deposits, to be honest. Nothing to worry about, usually the result of the egg hanging out in the shell gland too long (this would be caused by disturbance during laying) and extra calcium attaching itself to the egg. They're also called "Pimple Eggs". It seems that young hens just beginning to lay are more susceptible to these. It's also seemingly more common in the winter, when egg production begins to reduce.

Be sure that you're providing adequate nutrition and unlimited clean water.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by