Sand or dirt?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by LizGled628, Jul 27, 2010.

1. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    The hubs and I are putting the finishing touches on our run/coop and I was wondering....do you guys prefer a grassy dirt run, or a sand filled run? I was thinking of maybe letting them tear up our yard in the run, THEN filling it with sand.

Let me know what you use, and thanks in advance for the help [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

That sounds reasonable [​IMG] I actually STILL have a grassy run because it's large and my girls get out to freerange in my yard quite a bit. I like that the run looks nice w/grass, but I don't like that I have to pretty much put on a latex glove and go around picking up poop in the run every couple of days, because my rake just misses so much. So I think sand would be much easier to clean...I just like the more natural looking environment of grass. [​IMG]

3. DukesAngel

DukesAngel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Louisville, KY
    I let my girls kill all the grass in the run and then I added sand. The flies have been almost 0 and the smell is minimal. (meaning I can only smell it once in a while) Be sure to clean it out though once a week..... I wasn't able to clean mine one week and phew!

4. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    I like the grass look too! We won't be able to let ours free range during the day when we're not home because there are too many predators (and I'm pretty sure our neighbors wouldn't know what to do if a chicken landed on their deck). We do plan on letting them roam on weekends, or whenever we are home to keep a close eye.

I told my Dad (long time chicken lover) that we were thinking of using sand and he SCOFFED at the idea! He was like "Whaaaat? Sand? Let 'em go in the dirt!". But then again, he never had to clean it [​IMG]

5. tomorton

tomorton Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    about every two years, we dig our run down about 6 inches and refill with sand...DRAINAGE....so occasional treatments with lime keep the odor down..and it stays relatively dry..those of is in suburban areas who don't have the land need to do some work to accomodate the birds....our run is about 30x70 feet for 20 birds...free range is not possible as the coyotes are always waiting for a free chicken!

6. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sand! Sand! and More Sand!!! Sand drains the water away. And chickens love a good sand bath. Sand is easier to clean up and to turn over. Get sand. About 3 inches. You'll be much, much happier.

7. LizGled628

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    Thanks everyone! Can't wait to let the little babies hang out in there new home [​IMG]

8. jasanch5

jasanch5 New Egg

Jul 25, 2010
    Playsand? or Silica? What can I expect to pay for a bag? 20lbs? 40lbs? or what.... [​IMG]

9. JimWWhite

JimWWhite Chillin' With My Peeps

No, not play sand. Go down to your local landscaping yard and if you have a pickup truck get a scoop of course sand. Sometimes it's referred to as creek sand. It should cost something less than $25 for a scoop which is a half ton. If you don't have a pickup or know someone who does then have them to deliver it, but you should be aware that will probably add another $25+ to the bill. Tell them the dimensions of the area you want to cover and make sure they give you enough for about 3 inches deep over the entire area. You'll save way more doing it this way instead of trying to buy sand in bags.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  10. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    So, I'm just going to add another option to the mix that has worked well for me thus far. I have a large sweet gum that drops a gazillion leaves in the fall. I have been adding those dried leaves weekly to the run. They love to spread them out, then they trample them into dirt. No smell, and this is a suburban yard. I am beginning to run out of leaves, however. I'm thinking this fall I'll be raking up the neighbors leaves as well. So, if you have some large deciduous trees...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by