Sand or pine shavings in the coop?

acissej

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Duvall, WA
We put sand down in the run but I'm trying to decide what would be best for inside the coop. Sand doesn't seem like it would be very cozy for them to sleep on, and definitely not very warm. Which would you do? And what should go in the nesting boxes? They're not laying yet.

I have sand down in my coop as well as my run. It is a cool substrate, but my chickens are roosting at night anyway and don't hang out inside the coop during the day. I use a poop tray under the roost, and pick up stray droppings with a reptile substrate scoop. Very easy to keep clean.

I have sand in the run - love it! I used to have pine shavings in the coop - hated it! I just felt like I could never keep it as clean as I wanted to. I changed it out for sand - love it! My girls roost at night so there is no worry about them sleeping in the sand (although they love to roll around in it in the run). I have a cat litter scoop duct taped onto a pole that I use to clean both the coop and the run. It's very easy to keep both very clean. I use hay in the nesting boxes.

I use "all purpose" sand; that's what's marked on the bag. Oddly enough, I found the "All Purpose" sand sold at Home Depot to be too fine, while the "All Purpose" sand sold at Lowe's to be "just right." I sound like Goldilocks, don't I?

The finer sand we tried tended to clump up when it got wet and harden as it dried out. The coarser sand stays nice and loose.

Quote:
lol..yep Goldilocks for sure..I was hoping you would say where you got the sand. It's in a bag?? How big a bag and how much is it? And, how often do you change the sand? Now I'm wondering who I sound like..

Most chicken will not sleep in the bedding they prefer to sleep on roosts (or poles off of the ground) It's their natural instinct to sleep off the ground to keep safe from predators.

Back
Top Bottom