Sand or shavings in my run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by smwtch, Aug 7, 2013.

1. smwtch

smwtch New Egg

Jul 2, 2013
    Kirtland, Ohio
    I have been reading all the posts about bedding, wood shavings, etc and am confused! My run is a concrete/soil floor. Is sand with DE best to use? Sounds like sand makes for easy cleanup. Or should I use the shavings in the run too? Shavings seem messy for the run. I want my girls to be happy, but I want easy clean up to be sure there is no smell for the neighbors. (and to get my Husband to help on occasion!)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Between the two, I'd suggest sand. I read a few threads on it and it sounds great, especially in wet climates.

3. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I have (hard) dirt in my uncovered run, topped off with 4-6" of all purpose sand. I love it! Easy to clean and no smell!

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I have sand in the henhouse and the covered run, I use DE in both easy to clean with a cat litter scoop and no smell.

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I use pine shavings in the coop and sand in the outdoor run. I've had issues with drainage though so I may layer pea gravel down first and then top with sand.

6. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    Hi, welcome to BYC. My coop is over concrete as well. My girls can't free range for several reasons. The lower part is the run 4x8. I chose to use sand and I'm so glad I did. I have about 3 inch layer. I added sweet PDZ and DE. I scoop like kitty litter on a regular basis. I have no odor issues and no flies. The upper level I have a poop board with sand and pine shavings around it. 2 nest boxes with straw. They aren't laying yet. They need a moveable run so they can feel the grass. Coming soon. I got my sand at Home Depot. 50 pound bags under $4.00. Used 5 bags. I'm happy and my peeps are doing well. It dries back to sand after a rain. Good luck on your set up :)

7. thepouts

thepouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2013
    I have sand in my coop and run. It's really easy to clean and there is no smell. It drys quick and drains well after rain. My girls are happy and so am I :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by