Sand or Shavings??

Sand or Shavings for coop floor

• Total voters

db1113

In the Brooder
May 16, 2019
Danielsville, PA
I started my coop off with shavings. They were EVERYWHERE whenever I cleaned them out. So I switched to sand. I put a pretty decent layer out in half of the coop under where the chickens roost (my coop is a double shed turned into chicken house). I have scooped the poop once but there is ALWAYS poop and there always will be poop. But I noticed the coop smells nasty now. The floor is plywood and they poop all over the plywood floor also when they feed so I can't tell if it's the normal floor or the sand that stinks. Anyway the point I'm trying to get at is...is it the sand making the coop stink? or will going back to shavings (or straw) help with the smell? I'm willing to deal with shavings everywhere as long as the stench isn't that noticeable!

I started my coop off with shavings. They were EVERYWHERE whenever I cleaned them out. So I switched to sand. I put a pretty decent layer out in half of the coop under where the chickens roost (my coop is a double shed turned into chicken house). I have scooped the poop once but there is ALWAYS poop and there always will be poop. But I noticed the coop smells nasty now. The floor is plywood and they poop all over the plywood floor also when they feed so I can't tell if it's the normal floor or the sand that stinks. Anyway the point I'm trying to get at is...is it the sand making the coop stink? or will going back to shavings (or straw) help with the smell? I'm willing to deal with shavings everywhere as long as the stench isn't that noticeable!
If it were me, I would read the articles here on the 'deep litter method'. That is what we plan to use. Mind you, I'm not experienced yet, but the testimonials from those who use it have convinced us to use that form of 'natural composting'.
I do know that sand, by itself, doesn't stink, so I'd venture to guess that it's the chicken poop that's the culprit.

We have river sand in our coop. We also have a plywood floor, but we laid down peel and stick linoleum before putting the sand into the coop. I scoop out the poop with a retractable, metal, kitty litter scooper a couple times a day. There’s no smell whatsoever. We were using shavings in their brooder (7’ x 7’) and it was a pain in the rear keeping all of that cleaned and fluffed. I’m LOVING the sand. Plus, we can get a truckload for $12. We paid that much for two bales of shavings.

Attachments

• 50DC3583-83C4-48B3-9E73-1455C8BE7E95.jpeg
    50DC3583-83C4-48B3-9E73-1455C8BE7E95.jpeg
    667.5 KB · Views: 13
I have always used pine flake shavings. I get them at tractor supply for about $5 a bale. It is more than enough for my smaller 4x8 coop. I didn't have a smell problem, but chicks have a large yard (about 18x30) plus an extended run of 800 sqft and a lot of free range time - year round (snow, rain, sun). I did the deep litter (i guess) and cleaned well with spray down before cold weather. put in a full bale of shavings, and added shavings when it was too messy (maybe once a month). I did more routine cleanup in nest boxes. In early spring, I did a deep clean again. I do add DE with shavings to keep mites down. Plus I spread DE around yard when I scoop out the dirty shavings. I just completed a walk-in coop with dirt floor - but will put shavings down in roost area (and nest boxes) just to help absorb some of the wet stuff. I just rake it out now with a leaf rake every couple of weeks. One key might be to have way more space than needed for your flock. Hope this helps!

We have river sand in our coop. We also have a plywood floor, but we laid down peel and stick linoleum before putting the sand into the coop. I scoop out the poop with a retractable, metal, kitty litter scooper a couple times a day. There’s no smell whatsoever. We were using shavings in their brooder (7’ x 7’) and it was a pain in the rear keeping all of that cleaned and fluffed. I’m LOVING the sand. Plus, we can get a truckload for $12. We paid that much for two bales of shavings.
that pic is awesome! I have coop envy! Where do you get river sand?

I got the sand idea off of posts on here. I did read tonight about the deep litter method but I'm a little hesitant.
I can understand that. I guess you just have to try each way...if you can stand to mess with it that much...and then you will be telling newer people the best way! Keep us posted though...in about six months we will be thinking the same thoughts as you! :thumbsup

Your coop is spotless!!!! 17 chickens and 6 turkeys make a huge mess in my coop!

I use sand over a dirt floor. I used wood chips before and I like the sand a whole lot better.

With the sand it takes me only a few minutes every morning to rake out under the roosts. I can easily see the poops - it’s like having a poop board floor!

During the day it’s easy to kick a little sand over a poop as I come across it.

I just started using Sweet PDZ - $9 at TSC. I mix it into the sand. It counteracts the ammonia to reduce/eliminate door. It works.

I do use pine shavings in the nest boxes (buckets). I used straw from the pasture previously but it was a hassle to go collect it. The $5 cost of the bale saves me more than that in time and effort.

I do keep an eye on the sand as far as making sure it doesn’t get too hard packed. A quick rake thru when I think it needs it takes a few minutes.

You’re just going to have to make a choice and try it. You can always change it if it doesn’t work out as you want it to.

Back
Top Bottom