1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand, shavings and DE

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ncCHICKS, Nov 8, 2008.

1. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    We live in a not so well drained yard and my chickens have a coop that touches the ground, no floor. Should I use sand, shavings or straw in it and what is DE? Also, what about in the run. How much sand for a coop that is 4x4?

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I personally wouldn't use sand in the winter, straw or pine shavings would be best. Does the floor get wet? DE is diatomacious earth aka fossil flour not sure if i spelled it right, it helps keep the coop dry and not so smelly and also helps keep mites at bay.

3. 1brahmamama

1brahmamama Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2008
    Washington
    Could you dig a small trench around your coop and direct any water away from the coop. Straw will mildew if it gets wet. So will the shavings, and then you would have to change either anytime it gets wet. We have shavings inside the coops and straw in the run outside.

4. ncCHICKS

ncCHICKS Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Hope Mills, NC
    The coop stays dry except when its raining if I don't close the door. I'm mostly worried about the run.

5. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    De forms a crust when it gets wet. We're putting down a layer of playground sand in the run to help keep the mud down this winter. Hope this helps.

6. bkbuz1987

bkbuz1987 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I want to put a layer of sand in the run to help with the mud as well. I've slipped too much and the chickens get pretty dirty as well. In the coop we have pine shaving and DE the run now is just Colorado dirt and I sprinkel DE as needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by