Sand vs. Deep litter. Let's solve this

I have a 4' by 8' coop for 8 chickens. 99% of the pooping inside happens from the perches/roosts. The droppings boards under the perches have proved invaluable since their install. I like to clean up about once a week inside the coop. I spread a thin layer of pine chips on the board where the droppings collect so when I go to empty them the poop slides right off. There are also chips on the vinyl floor in the coop but I am lucky where my chickens don't spend alot of time standing on the coop floor pooping, but more like a highway to the nesting boxes or to jump up to go roost. In the floor of the coop you will see very few poops where they are easy to clean up off of a thin layer of shavings, This system keeps the floor very clean and you don't use chips to cover up the poop because its all gone when you clean.

There simply is no right or wrong ,or which is best, answer to this question. It is totally a personal preference. You must try 'both' methods....then choose which works best for you. Simple enough.
wink.png

I go with deep litter(Pine shavings). I clean out and replace the shavings twice a year. In between those cleanings, I'll dump a fresh bag in as needed ( As the shavings break down). I let the chickens do the work of keeping the bedding turned over by throwing a few handfulls of scratch in there and let the chickens do what they love to do, as in eat scratch and dig around. You can't get much easier then that. With sand you have to go in there everyday with your catlitter scoop, sift around and dig out the crap. Not what I want to do.
Jack
goodpost.gif
, this is exactly my method too. I get the pine shavings from Tractor Supply and change them out twice per year. From what I've read, the people who use sand are the daily raker/cleaner types, and those that use the shavings clean only a couple times per year. It's not a hard job when I do it. Each days droppings are turned over and quickly dry out, when I change the litter out its all dry and easy to use the dustpan and broom to remove. My chickens do not use the coop during the day (free range).

I go with deep litter(Pine shavings). I clean out and replace the shavings twice a year. In between those cleanings, I'll dump a fresh bag in as needed ( As the shavings break down). I let the chickens do the work of keeping the bedding turned over by throwing a few handfulls of scratch in there and let the chickens do what they love to do, as in eat scratch and dig around. You can't get much easier then that. With sand you have to go in there everyday with your catlitter scoop, sift around and dig out the crap. Not what I want to do.
Jack

goodpost.gif
, this is exactly my method too. I get the pine shavings from Tractor Supply and change them out twice per year. From what I've read, the people who use sand are the daily raker/cleaner types, and those that use the shavings clean only a couple times per year. It's not a hard job when I do it. Each days droppings are turned over and quickly dry out, when I change the litter out its all dry and easy to use the dustpan and broom to remove. My chickens do not use the coop during the day (free range).

This is what I do as well except I use wheat straw mostly because a bale of straw is cheaper than a bag of pine shavings and goes a heck of a long way further. I lucked into a truck load of wood chips from a local tree service just a couple weeks ago and as this stuff dries out I do believe that I will begin adding it along with the wheat straw to really stretch it out and make it last a long time. I usually only completely clean my main coop out once a year because it takes a while to get everything going again when you start with clean and fresh.

I have been letting my girls stir up the pile much like Jack does for a long time now, an old timer that used to live close by told me that was the only way his litter ever got turned was when he put the hens to work doing something besides laying eggs. He was a good ole dude and I miss his knowledge, he had a strong desire to share that knowledge with anyone that wanted to listen.

DEEP LITTER - Great if you don't want to clean the coop floor daily, The only way to go if you have ALOT of chickens

SAND - Great if you want a tidy coop. Best for low numbers of chickens and you have plenty of time to rake and clean.

Just my 2 cents worth.
yippiechickie.gif

Great thread, its getting the pros and cons of each method spelled out, so others can decide for themselves which would be the best fit for their set up.

I am new to raising chickens and I have had chicks in my basement for 8 weeks with pine shavings and DE with absolutely no smell. Just this week I put the chicks in their new coop and run but the only difference is, is that I used sand this time in both. I've been picking up poop everyday but the coop and run really stink. What is the difference here? I thought sand was supposed to be better. When I pick up the poop it crumbles and runs right thru the scooper, even tho I lined it with hardware cloth. I'm about ready to go deep litter...am I doing something wrong?

Preceding posts summarize well...choose a style that fits your circumstances and preferences. Personally I like to get out in the coop morning and night and do not mind daily cleaning and given my desire to minimize impact on neighbors, noise and odor control I opted for a higher maintenance method. l examine the poop ion the poop boards to ensure worms and pests are routinely monitored and kept under control. The key to any method appears to be keeping the coop dry. Preference appear to control timing wether an annual turn over or more frequent grooming. Currently house 5 hens and 3 silkies. Coop is 6' X 12'. Using a sand floor with a bit of Diatomatious Earth mixed in. Clean with a litter scoop both mornings and evenings, very quick and easy, dump right into a plastic pail with lid...compost bin every weekend, small files seam to inhabit bucket. If I miss a cleaning, not a big deal rot catch up. Do not mind sand being added to compost as New England soil tends to be clay and a bit acidic. The sand adds some drainage to the compost when mixed into the gardens. Once on the weekends a more aggressive scooping is performed with a mesh sifter I made (like a dust pan with a screen for the bottom). Still need to make an outdoor run for unsupervised and protected outings. Wouldmlike to keep with either grass if area is large enough or fill with sand. Pditors are a problem. Chickens free range Saturday and Sunday. During the week only a few outdoor hours before bed. Poop boards under roosts help a lot, except for the silkies that huddle in the corner and two hens that fly up and roost on top of window. On weekends, pull out roost boards and ramp to roost and scrub clean. Hang fly strip and herbs (lemon balm and mint)...low odor and seldom attracting flies. Not laying yet, but designed boxes for easy weekly cleaning. Plan on using pine bedding and a bit of DE. Looked at sweet PZD and Dry Stall and alternative mix ins....priority is keeping Oder low as coop is attached to house and neighbors nearby. Isolation coop in chicken yard work in progress, plan on using straw. Brick patio by enterence door clean up with hose. Took a 4 day vacation, chickes were cooped up....Upon return, not must effort to restore to the clean coop I prefer to maintain. Straw a challenge for me due to 1. Transporting in car and 2. Asthma and allergies. That said...sand when dry and mixed with DE is dusty....I wear a make for deeper cleanings. Research lead me to a sand decision, however the deep litter method is a proven alternative for many. I suspect a full sand replacement would be a significant effort over an annual deep litter method renewal.

M.

Back
Top Bottom