Sand

OP is asking about the run, not the coop. Different story.

I wouldn't use sand (of any kind) in the run, for the reasons that U_Stormcrow has described. I use deep litter with lots of wood chips, fall leaves, grass clippings and other plant material and never clean it out. It doesn't smell or get muddy or compacted. It composts in place and turns into a rich soil.
No, not a different story.
I use sand in my coops both Runs and the Hen House.
As far as "smell" and "Mud", never had a problem with either.
I clean my runs every fall, the sand manure mixture get put in the compost pile to work through the fall and winter then added to the garden bed in the spring.

Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't it wont work for others. I know a lot of poultry breeders that use sand in there Breeding Pen and Runs. They never had a problem with small or mud either.

No, not a different story.
As far as "smell" and "Mud", never had a problem with either.
I clean my runs every fall, the sand manure mixture get put in the compost pile to work through the fall and winter then added to the garden bed in the spring.

Just because something doesn't work for you doesn't it wont work for others. I know a lot of poultry breeders that use sand in there Breeding Pen and Runs. They never had a problem with small or mud either.
You said coop in your first comment. Not run. That's what I was responding to.

You said coop in your first comment. Not run. That's what I was responding to.
I know exactly what I said, YES I said Coop. A Coop is a area that you confined (keep) your birds in. My COOP consists of a Hen House or a Breeding House or a Cock House and a Run.

Curious @Chris2018
How many birds do you have?
...and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1614429361145.png

Thanks @aart ! I was just going to ask the same question!

location, location, location! It’s that important.

some people, like @Chris2018 love it. Some people hate it after trying it and wanting it to work (and spending money on it and time getting it laid down).

Curious @Chris2018
How many birds do you have?
...and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2547145
As of now I have around 50 adult birds by fall ill end up with close to 100 to 150 adult birds.
Im located in N.E. OH in area know as the "Swamps"

You may also know me Chris09, just haven't been able to get that account active..

Back
Top Bottom