1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. navychick

navychick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Another newby question....
    If we go with sand as a coop liter base, how deep should it be? Do you buy the bagged play sand sold in box stores? Does it attract sand fleas?
    Thanks -Tamara

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello!

I've found sand to be the very best chicken run materials. If you buy the bags of play sand, you'll pay alot more, than if you go to a sand and gravel and get a load scooped into your pickup truck (or a friend's if you don't have one).

Last time my husband bought sand for me, it was only $16.00, and it coverd an 8x8 run and a 6x6 run nicely. It was probably about 3 to 4 inches deep.

I don't think we've ever had fleas in the sand, to my knowledge. I like to go around with a kitty litter scoop and get the poo and debris out a couple of times a week, and I'll rake it up after a rain to sort of fluff it up and help it dry easily. In the heat of the summer, I try and scoop it daily. That keeps flies and smells away....

3. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

What about a old grain shovel with 1/4" holes drilled in it to sift out the poo?

4. therowdydog

therowdydog Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    TX Hill Country
    Don't sand fleas only live at the beach? Of course my only experiences with sand have been sand boxes, but never got sand fleas, thankfully. [​IMG]

5. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    We'll be using sand in our design, inside and in the run. I imagine using the food grade DE would cut down on any flea problems that may occur. Def skip the bags of playsand, thats top dollar.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by