Sand?

navychick

Songster
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Another newby question....
If we go with sand as a coop liter base, how deep should it be? Do you buy the bagged play sand sold in box stores? Does it attract sand fleas?
Thanks -Tamara

Hello!

I've found sand to be the very best chicken run materials. If you buy the bags of play sand, you'll pay alot more, than if you go to a sand and gravel and get a load scooped into your pickup truck (or a friend's if you don't have one).

Last time my husband bought sand for me, it was only $16.00, and it coverd an 8x8 run and a 6x6 run nicely. It was probably about 3 to 4 inches deep.

I don't think we've ever had fleas in the sand, to my knowledge. I like to go around with a kitty litter scoop and get the poo and debris out a couple of times a week, and I'll rake it up after a rain to sort of fluff it up and help it dry easily. In the heat of the summer, I try and scoop it daily. That keeps flies and smells away....

Don't sand fleas only live at the beach? Of course my only experiences with sand have been sand boxes, but never got sand fleas, thankfully.
smile.png

We'll be using sand in our design, inside and in the run. I imagine using the food grade DE would cut down on any flea problems that may occur. Def skip the bags of playsand, thats top dollar.

Back
Top Bottom