Sandhill Preservation Center - Breeds

I wrote my post much earlier regarding concerns about my standing order with Sandhill. I ended up canceling my order...mostly because I had sent in my money and was still waiting to get confirmation and some idea of when they'd come. However...I also made so many other contacts on BYC...that I found some breeders that I could go with. Haven't any idea of how Sandhill is but it seems like they state pretty strongly on their website they are there to "preserve" the breeds...they are not for showing. So...it is really up to the "buyer" to decide what they want.

Quote:
1. Was for the waiting- -- after sending in my check I wanted at least confirmation they got it ...weeks had gone by
2. was for negative comments I heard elsewhere on BYC

I got my conformation letter and date for shipment a few weeks after sending it in. However, I ordered in Jan and I bet now that they are so swamped that they are much slower in answering everyone that is just now putting in orders.
I was very willing to wait a few months for my order but I am not ordering anything too rare. Though rare enough not to be found anywhere else easily.
I look forward to my ducks I will receive from them in a few weeks.

I sure do like the birds I got from Sandhill. They may not be SQ but they have been healthy and vigorous. The delawares grew out faster than any of the others and are very nice curious birds. I have some more on order as well as some white chanteclers. When ordering RIRs last year he told me his rosecomb RIRs were better than his single comb RIRs. The RIRs are a beautiful mahogany. I specifically ordered Dels and RIR. The rest were potluck. We got a nice assortment of friendly birds and look forward to what potluck we get this year...hoping for some Wyandottes.

I have no personal opinion one way or another about buying direct from Sand Hill. What I can say is that I acquired a young established flock of b/b/s orpingtons that are nothing but Sand Hill Stock and they are extremely nice! The cockerel has a great comb, nice size wattles, excellent tail width and is all around nice and broad. There are a couple of hens/pullets in the group that a really large girls! I do also have exhibition orp stock that I show and do very well with and yes there is some difference but not such a dramatic difference that would have me saying negative things about Sand Hills birds. I am actually thinking of showing the cockerel later this fall, think he would fair very well. Again, just my personal experience with Sand Hills Orpingtons.
smile.png

I just ran across this thread this evening and have read thru most of it. Very Frustrating. THe purpose of the SOP is a GOAL. It covers the physical characteristics of a bird, from color to body weight to physically correct. It in no way measures egg production, vigor, thrift, weight gain, etc. A winning bird is truly gorgeous, and a breeder has every right to be proud of this accomplishment: it took hard work to achieve this. However, I am always concerned when the "utility traits", if you will, are second to color. They should be FIRST, IMO. I breed horses and sheep. I gave up on breeding purebred sheep when I saw the "best" at the show were always singles. A single grows much bigger and faster when there is no sibling to hog the ewe's milk. I bought the purebred registered ram that was placed in the middle of the class--he had everything I was looking for including twinning. Also, there is a breed of sheep that does not show in an effort to promote twinning as a top selection criteria as well as mothering characteristics. As for the horses, I breed registered stock. I have some of the best stock and I have bred to some of the best. Because the primary focus of the Selection Committee is on ability and soundness of legs and lungs and breeding soundness(poor fertility gets a stallion banded from breeding) ; breeding in a pretty head eventually would be addressed, and the body type is a work in progress; out crossing is allowed seeking exceptional talent in sport. All functional traits, rarely is color addressed. That's my soap box rant! A beautiful bird is a gem; but I need one that can put eggs on my plate and meat in my crock pot. It's probably not going to be a show bird.

Back
Top Bottom