Sandhill Preservation Center - Breeds

SO... now I am in a bit of a pickle. I want to try many of the breeds, particularly the Mediterranean breeds Sandhill sells. I was close to sending in my order when I began to read this thread. I am not necessarily after SQ birds. I am more looking for large size and egg laying abilities. Privett and other hatcheries sell some of the breeds I am interested in from Sandhill. Being that I want mostly pullets,though I do not mind some roos, am I better off ordering hatchery sexed pullets at one half or less the price? I support ideologically what Sandhill does, and recognize the need to financially support my ideology when it intersects with commerce. Is it worth buying twice as many birds elsewhere and choosing from a larger gene pool which I will keep, sell off the rest, or are the genetics at Sandhill significantly superior. Obviously,some breeds I cannot find elsewhere (other than breeders), but breeds like Delawares, Campines, Minorcas, Australorp, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Sussex, Welsummer, Orpingtons and Brahma seem readily available at most hatcheries.
Obviously,there are some who have spoken on this thread as tothe conformation to SQ in regards to his genetics. I am not as fascinated by this. Behavior, size and body type are my primary qualifications. Anyone who has been happy with their birds from Sandhill and can compare them to "other hatchery" type birds? Thanks

Quote:
Also keep in mind that sometimes they will not get your order out for two years....and when they do, it's not what you wanted.
smile.png

Behavior was no different than any other chickens in general. To my experience with Sandhill birds I've had, some are spazzy and some are mellow, all depends on the breed. Breeders are more strict on disposition on their birds such as heavy breeds should be mellow, not spazzy like Leghorns or Penescenedas.

Type and body type, it depends. You know that Sandhill does not breed for SOP so you can get some that may have Leghorn structure with heavy breeds but it falls more consisently just like the hatchery birds rather than the breeder's birds which they should be more consisent in size and body type. You might find one or a few that are "throwbacks" but culling them out would not breed on the faults.

Production is what both Sandhill and hatcheries do and some heritage breeds have lost that production, so you have work on getting some chickens that DO produce alot and it would take more of your time to do bookkeeping on egg production. SQ or breeder's birds, egg production is sort on the side but many of them are working on it after they got to the goal in what they want in the standard of their birds.

If pullets are what you are wanting, either order twice as many from any hatchery, Sandhill or breeder....Sandhill chicks I've had, I had close to 80-90 percent MALES out of 50 chick order. I can not blame them for the ratio, its the luck of the draw. The other two orders I've had were 75-80% MALES which that is OK since I found homes for ALL of them.

From the price you are paying per chick, get them from a breeder. You may have to do your search elsewhere if you can not find them in here at BYC....maybe that rare breed poultry antiquities??? I do not have the link to it.

I agree with Rare Feathers Farm, the waiting was awful but like any other very rare breeds, that may be all you can work from. If you do decide to get Sandhill, be prepared to do some culling or finding faults or some mutations going on.

Good luck, the decision is yours!
wink.png

An important thing to consider. Maybe I better split the risk and go both ways, Hatchery for Early Spring pullets, hatching eggs or chicks from breeders when they seem reasonable, . and possibly a long wait for SandHill. Thanks

Thank You, EweSheep, good info. I am caught between wanting big, gorgeous birds and needing egg production to sate the appetite of friends, family and (lucky for me) the food conscious citizenry of Santa Cruz. I skate the balance, though these low egg production winter months have been tough... Thank God for Ducks, they have been pumping all fall and winter. However culinarily experimental people claim to be, most still want chicken instead of duck eggs. Therein lies the beauty of the SandHill goal to me. Production and preservation intertwined. It is a lofty goal. I plan to order from Sandhill as much in support of that goal as in expectation of superior birds. Vigor and Hardiness, Self Sufficiency and Production, Propagation of future generations, these seem desirable traits. With all due respect to the countless hours of work done to protect and preserve specific breeds, whether sufficient barring or lacing exists, the angle of tail feathers, etc., seems to create discord and disagreement in the otherwise gracious poultry community. Everyone is held in wonder by different parts of this life, and as a metaphor, this poultry world. For those of us who may be able to consider a $100 or $1000 splurge on a bird, compassion and sharing the joy and wonder of any level of enthusiasm for a chicken, be it a cross beaked hybrid production red or a perfect Coronation Sussex, seems to be the high road to sharing this part of our lives.

Quote:
I dont know what breeds you were planning on ordering from SH - But I raise LF welsummers, Light Sussex, Coronation Sussex, and Wheaten/Blue Wheaten Marans - Exceptional Stock with Competive Prices! I try and keep prices reasonable so people can afford to get the real deal, be happier with breeder stock birds, and help preserve them!

Nate

Awesome Nate, Thank You, I just looked through your website, as stated, nice birds and fair prices. An order will be forthcoming. The dark egg layers are becominga personal and customer favorite. I have one splash Marans about 12 weeks old, a cock im pretty sure. Nice bird, super mellow. I am not sure about Marans other than the egg color. Hard to beat that Cacao color. I may try some of yours.

Quote:
All my marans are out of dark eggs - but none of my birds are currently laying! Im hoping to start shipping mid-march or so!

My welsummers are dark egg layers, large-x large eggs, and lay very well - usually out of about 8 hens, 2 roosters, I get 6-8 eggs per day all summer day!

Nate

Quote:
All my marans are out of dark eggs - but none of my birds are currently laying! Im hoping to start shipping mid-march or so!

My welsummers are dark egg layers, large-x large eggs, and lay very well - usually out of about 8 hens, 2 roosters, I get 6-8 eggs per day all summer day!

Nate

(singing) All summer daaaaaaaaaaaaay!
I'm working on the raaaaaaaaaailroad, alllllllllll day long!
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom