Sandhill Preservation Center - Breeds

Wow you people sure know how to down a hatchery. Do you even know for sure what their breeders are really like? I doubt it as they do not let people on their farm to see. Not that they are trying to hide anything but to keep out dieases from other farms and chickens. I think that if you have not seen their stock then you shouldn't be putting them down.

'Nough said.

Quote:
If you've seen their chicks, then you've seen their breeder stock. I admire anyone who tries to preserve a breed, even if they don't do a great job at it. At least Glen tries in his own way. I am in no way downing him.
But for example; If I sell Punky some of my "Rhode Island Reds" and he grows the chicks out... he doesn't have to see my breeding stock to know I've got production reds instead of pure bred Rhode Island Reds. I don't sell Rhode Island reds, I have production reds, but the point is, he wouldn't have to see my birds because he could look at the results and know what mine looked like.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear no matter how hard you try or what you call it.

JMHO

Quote:
If you've seen their chicks, then you've seen their breeder stock. I admire anyone who tries to preserve a breed, even if they don't do a great job at it. At least Glen tries in his own way. I am in no way downing him.
But for example; If I sell Punky some of my "Rhode Island Reds" and he grows the chicks out... he doesn't have to see my breeding stock to know I've got production reds instead of pure bred Rhode Island Reds. I don't sell Rhode Island reds, I have production reds, but the point is, he wouldn't have to see my birds because he could look at the results and know what mine looked like.

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear no matter how hard you try or what you call it.

JMHO

thumbsup.gif

As I said before I was very happy with my birds. Glen at sandhill is trying to preserve rare breeds that could very well go exinct. He is offering them to others to help preserve them. Do some need work?yes. That is the work of other dedicated breeders who order sandhill's stock and want to work on that particular breed. If you get from a private breeder, I'm not saying that you nt get good birds, but more than likely you won't get his/her best birds and in a lot of cases you will get their culls. I say lighten up on sandhill they are just trying to put rare chickens,ducks,geese in the hands of others to help preserve them. Most likely when he got alot of his breeders they were probably in need of work because of different reasons.

Quote:
I will just say this about the birds I ordered from them.....the owners were very nice to deal with, but the chicks that I ordered were not the quality of bird I was hoping for and it was apperant early on. So yes, I do think I know what the breeders probably look like.....I do wish they had pictures available of their parent stock.

For many years, many of us kept asking for photos of the parent stock, and put them on the website or brochure so we can get an idea what they look like. Did they do that? NOPE! It is not a hard request like many of us here would ask for pictures of parent stock.

the only time I ever saw them would be on publications and magazines and only the few would be shown for photographs. That is fine. However I want to see the whole assortment of birds he has and he has mentioned in his newsletter that he just don't have time. I understand running the farm is a full time job but get someone to do some photography is not a hard thing.

Photographs by him or his staff/family member would keep his flock intact and good biosecurity.

GeorgiaBoy, you do have a point there, however it would be nice he would mention that the breed needs work.....only found one breed he did mentioned it, the Red Sussex.

There are a lot of breeds he mentions need work. I found many, and listed a few here. He seems to be really open about what he is doing and why. I think people need to be aware that if they order from Sandhill they are most likely not getting a show quality chicken. Many still need improvement, but he's trying to preserve the breed. Private breeders can build on what he has started if they are seriously interested in showing rare breeds of chickens or just improving a certain breed.

Barnevelder: Please only request these if you are interested in working toward perfecting this breed and you are not interested in showing them at this point as they are not up to show quality yet. This breed, as it stands now, is for the person who wants a calm chicken that lays a deep brown egg.
Buff Catalana (MB): We are still trying to work with them to refine color and conformation.
New Hampshire (AMB): We have selected for production first, and show type second.
Partridge Chantecler (AMB): Still working on improvement of comb type. Body type is good.
Black Dorking (EB): A rare color that, in an effort to save it from drastic inbreeding, I crossed with other colors of Dorkings. We are getting both comb types (rose and single) and, while a predominent number are pure black, some off colors (principally dark gray and birchen) are showing up.

Back
Top Bottom