Sandy Soil ~ what would you do/have you done?

SandyRiverChick

Free Ranging
14 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Brightwood, OR
My Coop
My Coop
On the map my property is a pizza slice with the crust end as River frontage. So it's nice to have that much River view but my soil is just pure sand, medium bank. Add to that fir tree canopy and I feel like I couldn't be in a more challenging place to garden. Between the house and River I do have a nice open spot for garden and landscaping. My chicken coop is on one side of the pizza headed towards the point. About 5years ago I brought in 2 dump truck loads of horse poo and basically spread it everywhere. I was able to seed a small lawn. I add horse poo on garden beds every other fall and cover with black plastic to prevent rain leaching nutrients out as much as possible. Chicken poo is almost as valuable to me as eggs! I collect and dump it everywhere I have trees or flowering bushes, un-composted but in a circle far enough away from the main plant to not burn it. I'm just looking for ideas that I've not thought of. I get really jealous of those of you with full sun and loamy soil but I do appreciate what I have and will probably never move. A couple pics so you can get a feel for my challenge! Thank You in advance!!

IMG_2011.JPG

IMG_0414.JPG

My uncle swears by mixing in mushroom compost and peat moss. He has used the combination to grow in everything from sand to clay and his gardens always look so nice that even the Amish have stopped by and said they were jealous.

It doesn't have to be animal manure. Any type of organic matter will work. You just need lots of it; (like 3 to 6 inches deep) and keep adding more as it compacts and breaks down. The trick is to find a cheap and accessible resource like leaves or shredded green waste. Tree trimmer wood chips will take longer to break down but that will eventually work too.

On the bright side, sandy soil is great for keeping chickens.

It doesn't have to be animal manure. Any type of organic matter will work. You just need lots of it; (like 3 to 6 inches deep) and keep adding more as it compacts and breaks down. The trick is to find a cheap and accessible resource like leaves or shredded green waste. Tree trimmer wood chips will take longer to break down but that will eventually work too.

On the bright side, sandy soil is great for keeping chickens.
You make good points. I have never had to deal with mites and this whole place is one big glorious dust bath. It's just roots that don't love sand so I'm trying to make organic matter as fast as it's trying to suck it down and out of here. It's quite the battle.....

My uncle swears by mixing in mushroom compost and peat moss. He has used the combination to grow in everything from sand to clay and his gardens always look so nice that even the Amish have stopped by and said they were jealous.
I do have a few bales of peat that I didn't use this year but I will spread it around in spring and try to get my hands on mushroom compost! Thanks!

From what I've read for amending sandy soil,
- add the peat moss for sure (to improve moisture retention)
- Try adding other organic matter like grass clippings (as long as you don't spray your grass) and fall leaves
- adding compost is also a great idea

Also, make sure the chicken manure you use is aged or composted, as I've read that failing to do so can cause the otherwise high nitrogen level in it to actually burn your plants.
You don't have to worry about this with rabbit manure, though.

Are you aware of the parameters of your soil (such as pH)? If not then you may want to consider purchasing a small soil testing kit. I've used one before, and it was easy enough. For example, most crops thrive in a pH of 6 to 7. Most soil test kits will probably include a test for pH, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. If one of these levels are off whack, this could be affecting your plant growth. The kit may include tips for how to amend your soil accordingly, but if not you should be able to find the answers online.

Another thing to consider is that some crops actually thrive in loose, sandy soil.

I've read that those with sandy soil will likely have to fertilize their plants more often than those with heavier soil as the nutrients escape sandy soil quicker.

Those raised beds looked great!

Unfortunately I can't give you any tips from personal experience as I work with clay soil. If you look up 'amending sandy soil' you can get some good information.

Best of luck with your gardening!

From what I've read for amending sandy soil,
- add the peat moss for sure (to improve moisture retention)
- Try adding other organic matter like grass clippings (as long as you don't spray your grass) and fall leaves
- adding compost is also a great idea

Also, make sure the chicken manure you use is aged or composted, as I've read that failing to do so can cause the otherwise high nitrogen level in it to actually burn your plants.
You don't have to worry about this with rabbit manure, though.

Are you aware of the parameters of your soil (such as pH)? If not then you may want to consider purchasing a small soil testing kit. I've used one before, and it was easy enough. For example, most crops thrive in a pH of 6 to 7. Most soil test kits will probably include a test for pH, phosphorus, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. If one of these levels are off whack, this could be affecting your plant growth. The kit may include tips for how to amend your soil accordingly, but if not you should be able to find the answers online.

Another thing to consider is that some crops actually thrive in loose, sandy soil.

I've read that those with sandy soil will likely have to fertilize their plants more often than those with heavier soil as the nutrients escape sandy soil quicker.

Those raised beds looked great!

Unfortunately I can't give you any tips from personal experience as I work with clay soil. If you look up 'amending sandy soil' you can get some good information.

Best of luck with your gardening!
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I don't use any chemicals, it's not even legal this close to the River.... I totally forgot to get a soil test, I really will do that! Then I can know how far off I am. There are many "zones" around my 2acre's that I work, surrounded by forest. Some pure sand, sand with slight acid from trees, shade and sand, etc. Anything raised clearly does better as I'm always amending. I compost chicken poo and scraps in summer but in winter I just put it directly on. My Dad who as a Master Gardener, Master Composter had clay soil! That is quite the challenge too. I know that he was always mixing in perlite, peat and many different manures, he swore by sheep.... He told me to get as much "forest floor" as I can but even the forest needs what it's got because a few inches down it's sandy.

Thank you again, I just wrote myself a weekend list with SOIL TEST KIT at the top :cool:

Back
Top Bottom