Sanford, NC family fined $1300 day for chickens!Update She Found US!!!

Quote:
We emailed the town council, a new commitee set up to discuss Cary's commitment to being green and then followed it up with contacting the zoning department, animal control and our areas council member. The person at zoning gave us the impression that we would not have any luck with applying for a zoning exemption.

Right from the beginning, we included as much information about urban chickens as possible and stated many of the common restrictions that we support. E.g. no roosters, etc. This was to let them know that our request is serious and to preempt many common complaints. Our area council member, Jack Smith, was very receptive to our request and stated that he would at the very least would sponsor the motion. "...it doesn't mean I will definitely vote for it..."

We have also spoken with the only neighbor who would be most directly "impacted" (read: able to see) by us having hens.

The fact that Cary has the perception of being a government run HoA is one of the main reasons it was picked up by the news. I feel that the media attention is going to help out a lot, since most of the feedback we've received so far has been very supportive (as long as there are restrictions).

I have a question for Alex. Did the town send you a letting stating you had to get rid of your chickens and then a cease and desist order?

I dont know what a cease and desist order is but I first receive a notice from our code enforcement office in May. That letter explained the fine and said I had seven days to get rid of the chickens before the fines started. After the code enforcement office heard I was going to make a presentation to city council he tabled the notice. Two months later I received a second notice from code enforcement. I thought after my initial presentation they might just "forget" about this and focus on some really important issues we have in this city. Does that answer your question?

Everyone, please vote today!!!!! And dont forget about icaught.

Also, no one has called me about getting together tonight!

Any ideas on what we should put on our little egg shaped picket signs (messages).

Alex

I just tried to vote on golo.com but there was no place no vote. What happened?

I hope this gets resolved soon!!! Towns really need to recognise that chickens are not a nuisance animal, and they make great pets! There are so many more pros than cons to having chickens! I'm working on a petition to the town council of Wake Forest to change our ordinances right now! Check our new blog (www.wfchickens.blogspot.com) for the latest details - maybe she should start a petition too!!! Em

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom