Sanford, NC family fined $1300 day for chickens!Update She Found US!!!

fl.gif
pop.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
caf.gif

Oh Chicken lovers here is where we are.

Yesterday July 15th: Despite hitting myself in the face with a tennis racket and giving myself a fat upper and lower lip; going to a neighbors house to remind them to come support the meeting and their dog lunging at me and biting me in the thigh; and my high quality Clark shoes falling apart during the protest (literally in half), I think we were successful.

Read the Sanford Herald article: http://sanfordherald.com/index.php?pSetup=sanfordherald

Also
the Raleigh News and Observer came and interviewed me yesterday. I did not see it in today's newspaper and I am hoping that the reporter will do some deep investigation and really pin the council members down.

It was a little crazy during the protest (but quite fun as well) so I am not sure how many people showed up or if there was any other media there.

There are some quotes in the newspaper from our apathetic council members.

I have a few ideas for next steps. I am going to jot them down and then I will get back to you all.

Please keep up the support and if you have not called or written our council members keep doing it. I want long and sustaining pressure.

Thanks. Alex

Alex, your councilman McNeil is quoted as saying “We’ve got just as many people out there who don’t want chickens as those who do want them”. Any truth to that? I doubt it. My point here is you should play up the lack (or weak outcry). If there were many protesters to your plan then you'll have a harder fight. I hope they don't take the intervening time to try to drum up those non-supporters.

(I love small-minded little Caesars who get themselves elected to positions just so they can continue to be small-minded and impose their will on others).

Good luck with it, Alex, and keep us posted (as I know you will!)

Gee ;i am awfully sorry for this family...i think people are just jelous....if they new how much time money and love goes into this hobby and the enjoyment it brings to us....but you can not please everyone all the time hope she wins her fight...
D.gif

Alex, bless your heart. With all the bad things that happened before the meeting it was a wonder you will still standing...on a broken shoe too! :aww

In the Sanford link you provided, one curious quote:

"Councilman Linwood Mann, whose ward includes Reid’s residence, said that after hearing citizen’s arguments on Tuesday, he still feels that an ordinance change would merely lead to problems."

Well what kind of problems Mr. Mann? I'd like him to elaborate on that.

Also Councilman Walter Mc Neil did give a ray of hope the this part of a quote:

"Councilman Walter Mc Neil said after the meeting that he saw no reason to reconsider the ordinance, though he would be willing to if other councilmen requested it."

That tells me that pressure on the other council members is needed...he's willing to change the ordinance.

Let us know what the next steps are and when is the actual vote.

what we have here is a fine example of leadership in our city council. If you listen to all of there fine quotes they really stand out as as concerned representatives of there community.

The Raleigh News & Observer sent out a really nice photographer today. There should be an article tomorrow or Friday. I am hoping the reporter will really present the tough questions to council.

In the mean time, I have put in a phone call to the state board of elections about a ballot initiative.

Please excuse any of my posts obviously done via texting on my phone. When I take my kids to the pool I often try to catch up.....but the message I put out is decidedly different.

I got an email from the sanford herald about the poll results. I have tried to copy and paste here but it does not seem to work.

There were 1095 total votes with 79% being in favor and 21% not.

Alex

Quote:
That to me sounds like there are more people wanting chickens than those against. I emailed the council in regards to the article in the Sanford Herald.

Alex, did the council provide any excuse or reason not to change the code?

Did they even mention or talk about all the emails they have been getting?

From the article it sounded as though the council sat there and listened, without saying anything or asking any questions, but already had their mind made up. The article really upset me. Heh.

Last edited:
Nothing in the N&O today. Perhaps tomorrow. Excellent letter to the editor in the Sanford Herald. I wish I could paste it here.

Council has never given me any reason, other than they are not interested in changing it or that they think I am in the minority.

Back
Top Bottom