Sanicare users?

5.3acredream

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
South Jersey
I have been using fine pine shavings in my coop since I built it a few months ago. It sucked. They work great! But I hate cleaning the coop. I scoop it like litter but the shavings are just too big to do it efficiently. I can't do deep litter in my coop because of how I designed it. Today I switched it to sanicare. It's fine like sand so I should be able to scoop it well.

My question is if anyone else uses it and if it contributed to any mite issues since it's hardwood instead of pine.

Oh, holy cow. No wonder you haven't heard of them, I just looked them up and they are made the next town over from me!

It's hardwood that's cubed for more surface area. (Their odor control stuff has gypsum and zeolite.) According to their website it absorbs 300% moisture per weight. I dumped it out into the coop and it was very low dust. Felt like soft sand, honestly.

Last edited:
It took a bit to find it because there are some other things with similar names.
https://www.sani-care.com/odor-control/
It seems like it would work. I've never seen it, but according to the site, my local rural king has it. I might check it out.

It was twice as expensive as pine but if it works as well as they say AND cuts my time on cleaning, I'll happily pay it. My coop is only a 4x8 so it won't be a hardship.

It took a bit to find it because there are some other things with similar names.
https://www.sani-care.com/odor-control/
It seems like it would work. I've never seen it, but according to the site, my local rural king has it. I might check it out.
Thanks for running down that link!

It was twice as expensive as pine but if it works as well as they say AND cuts my time on cleaning, I'll happily pay it. My coop is only a 4x8 so it won't be a hardship.
Would you post a pic of it?

I use a thin layer of straight granulated zeolite on my roost boards,
definitely helps keep odors down but I sift poops out daily.

Would you post a pic of it?
Sorry that I'm so late responding! I haven't been at home in daylight in oooohhhh 3 weeks? Anyway, here is the texture. The larger pieces are holdovers from the shavings I switch from:
20181207_150642.jpg
20181207_152456.jpg

I just cleaned the coop for the first time and it took me maybe a half hour to do a good job of it. Smell lacked piney freshness but it didnt stink by any means. I'm actually very pleased with my switch!

Back
Top Bottom