Sapphire gem or blue Plymouth Rock

Tmcfarland

Songster
May 5, 2022
So, I just had to share what happened at TSC when I went to get more chick feed. Since all my chicks were bought as pullets but this lil fluff Paisley may very well be a rooster, I talked with a girl there whose family raises chickens. She said looks like a roo to me, there’s always about 1% chance of missexing. She said either it’s a roo or a pullet who identifies as a roo! 🤦‍♀️ Are you serious?!?! Did she just say that? Also, she said it’s unclear which breed this chick is.

Attachments

• 4BE9D4CE-CB6F-4B7E-80D2-DA1E837FB858.jpeg
    4BE9D4CE-CB6F-4B7E-80D2-DA1E837FB858.jpeg
    398.1 KB · Views: 66
So, I just had to share what happened at TSC when I went to get more chick feed. Since all my chicks were bought as pullets but this lil fluff Paisley may very well be a rooster, I talked with a girl there whose family raises chickens. She said looks like a roo to me, there’s always about 1% chance of missexing. She said either it’s a roo or a pullet who identifies as a roo! 🤦‍♀️ Are you serious?!?! Did she just say that? Also, she said it’s unclear which breed this chick is.
If it was a Sapphire Gem then it was sexable at hatch. Females are solid blue and males have a bright yellow dot on the back of their head. I think Blue Plymouth Rocks are just a different name for Sapphire Gems.

If it was a Sapphire Gem then it was sexable at hatch. Females are solid blue and males have a bright yellow dot on the back of their head. I think Blue Plymouth Rocks are just a different name for Sapphire Gems.
That’s what is driving me CRAZY! None of them had spots/dots on their heads. All were sold as pullets. I’m pretty sure this fluff is a rooster. The girl said there’s a possibility this one is a little older which is why a larger comb. I guess we shall see in a few weeks but it’s looking more like a rooster. 🤷‍♀️

Both breeds you mentioned are sexlinked, which means males will have a head spot and be barred. If the chick had those traits, sorry to say, it’s a male.

There’s always that chance they sex wrong, but I wouldn’t expect as much error in sexlinks since they can be sexed at hatch already. It is true that a head spot is harder to spot on some birds though. Personally, I’m thinking cockerel too.

That’s what is driving me CRAZY! None of them had spots/dots on their heads. All were sold as pullets. I’m pretty sure this fluff is a rooster. The girl said there’s a possibility this one is a little older which is why a larger comb. I guess we shall see in a few weeks but it’s looking more like a rooster. 🤷‍♀️
Is there any barring on it? If it develops barring you've definitely got a boy.

Is there any barring on it? If it develops barring you've definitely got a boy.
As I’m new to baby chicks & anything other than RIR I’m not sure what barring is. Here’s a couple pictures. Maybe you can tell. If it’s a boy it’s fine, I just would like to know. I’m not known for being a patient person. Lol Sorry for sounding like a stupid idiot! They’re almost 6 weeks. Thanks for being helpful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    409.8 KB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 21
As I’m new to baby chicks & anything other than RIR I’m not sure what barring is.
Barring is white lines across the feathers. Barred Rock is the most common barred breed, and the white barring is very obvious against their black feathers. Cream Legbars also have barring, but it is much less obvious because of the other colors they have.

Here's a thread with photos of a barred chick (male) next to an unbarred chick (female):https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sapphire-gem-rooster.1517683/

I am not seeing barring on your chick in the photos, but that doesn't prove anything because I'm not particularly good at spotting it.

If you have a blue male with no white barring, he cannot be any of the sexlinked hybrids sold as "Sapphire Gem" or "Blue Plymouth Rock" or "Blue Sexlink." But he could be a Blue Andalusian or a Blue Australorp or some other breed that comes in blue and has no barring.

She said either it’s a roo or a pullet who identifies as a roo! 🤦‍♀️ Are you serious?!?! Did she just say that?
I expect "pullet identifies as a roo" is just a joke, and means a pullet who grows a big comb earlier than most other pullets. Some pullets do grow combs much bigger and faster than others, although I think your chick most likely is male.

Barring is white lines across the feathers. Barred Rock is the most common barred breed, and the white barring is very obvious against their black feathers. Cream Legbars also have barring, but it is much less obvious because of the other colors they have.

Here's a thread with photos of a barred chick (male) next to an unbarred chick (female):https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sapphire-gem-rooster.1517683/

I am not seeing barring on your chick in the photos, but that doesn't prove anything because I'm not particularly good at spotting it.

If you have a blue male with no white barring, he cannot be any of the sexlinked hybrids sold as "Sapphire Gem" or "Blue Plymouth Rock" or "Blue Sexlink." But he could be a Blue Andalusian or a Blue Australorp or some other breed that comes in blue and has no barring.

I expect "pullet identifies as a roo" is just a joke, and means a pullet who grows a big comb earlier than most other pullets. Some pullets do grow combs much bigger and faster than others, although I think your chick most likely is male.
Yeah, I’m thinking more and more this chick is male. Very dominant & bossy. Keeps all the rest in line.

Back
Top Bottom