Sapphire gem or sapphire olive eggers

MotherCluck44

Chirping
Mar 1, 2020
Newport News, Virginia
20200402_132451.jpg

The yellow one is a leghorn. But are the other gems or olive eggers?! Bought from tsc as gems
20200402_132116.jpg
20200402_131851.jpg
20200402_131759.jpg
20200402_131713.jpg

You won't be able to tell if it's an Olive Egger until it lays an egg. OEs are a hybrid therefore there is no standard on what one looks like. The only thing that makes it an Olive Egger, is the olive egg.
To expand on this a bit...
To make an Olive Egger all you need to do is cross a brown egg breed to a blue egg breed. The most popular brown egg breed used is Marans, but any breed that has a brown egg can be used. Same thing with the blue egg breed.

For instance, I currently have 2 different OE eggs to hatch. One is Arucana x Blue Birchen Marans and the other is Ameraucana x Cuckoo Marans. Both will lay eggs in the olive green shade, but the offspring should look quite different.

So if you are the one making them, you can get an idea of what it will look like, but to just look at a random chick, it's about impossible to judge if it's an OE.

The sapphire olive eggers from Hoover's are supposed to have a tuft (crest) on their heads, like legbars, so whenever that would appear, you should know. Also, the sapphire olive eggers cost more than the sapphire gems, so I'd guess that you'd be unlikely to receive a more expensive bird by mistake. Either way, I'm sure they'll be lovely birds!

The sapphire olive eggers from Hoover's are supposed to have a tuft (crest) on their heads, like legbars, so whenever that would appear, you should know. Also, the sapphire olive eggers cost more than the sapphire gems, so I'd guess that you'd be unlikely to receive a more expensive bird by mistake. Either way, I'm sure they'll be lovely birds!
The people at my tsc arent the most organized. I bought three EE from them and they had no idea what they were at all... and a orpington" pullet" who is in fact a rooster.
When looking at the pictures of the chicks, they looked more like sapphire olive eggers to me. But I'd never had either personally so I wouldnt know. But thank you for the info about the Crest! I didnt know that.

My sapphire OE was more of a solid color, that looks like my SG from tractor supply.
BTW if they are sapphire gem the males will have a yellow spot on their head.
Don't have chick pics but here's what the OE looked like older.View attachment 2072991
Beautiful chick! Their bin of sapphires were alllll shades of greys with mixed in yellow. That's why I wondered if they would be the OE since they're mixed I'd imagine the colors varied more. As with a pure, I'd imagine they were more within a specific range of colors. They were sold as pullets so fingers crossed.

My sapphire OE was more of a solid color, that looks like my SG from tractor supply.
BTW if they are sapphire gem the males will have a yellow spot on their head.
Don't have chick pics but here's what the OE looked like older.View attachment 2072991
Your chick looks similar to mine! I bought 6 Olive egger “pullets” from my local farm store. They all have the yellow spot on their head...
23C58578-B831-4AF1-9FE4-B009E054F6F7.jpeg
23C58578-B831-4AF1-9FE4-B009E054F6F7.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom