Sapphire Gem

RebekkaA

Hatching
Jun 2, 2020
Hello! My husband, kids, and I decided to start a a new adventure this year raising backyard chickens. We bought three pullets back in April. We bought them from Coastal and they had no idea how old the chicks were, but we are estimating them to be around 8-9 weeks old now. We got a Cinnamon Queen, a California Leghorn, and a Sapphire Gem. Now that they have grown, there is concern that our Sapphire Gem is actually a cockerel because it’s comb is very large. I have tried doing research but there isn’t a whole lot of information out there, and a lot of it seems contradicting to other pages. We don’t want a rooster, and my youngest will be heartbroken if we have to find his chicken another home. So here I am looking for help/advice since we are still new to raising chickens. I’m attaching a picture of our three, and I appreciate any comments/help anyone has to offer. Also, I’m not sure why the picture keeps turning sideways when I attach it, sorry! Thank you!

Attachments

• D5ED1B0C-814D-4186-88A8-8E4BE29BAF1E.jpeg
    D5ED1B0C-814D-4186-88A8-8E4BE29BAF1E.jpeg
    427.2 KB · Views: 59
How old is your youngest? Sounds bad but maybe find another pullet to replace him with that looks similar, and they won't realize their chick is gone? Just to prevent a heartbroken kid. That's the worst having to explain to a kid that their pet is gone now

Great to have that tame of a leghorn- you can tell they've been loved on. The barring starting on the Sapphire's back is unfortunately the sign he's a he... Hopefully you can find some started pullets to replace him- this is a great site to do that!

Back
Top Bottom