Sarge is home (edited to add pictures) :(

Quote:
Worms could be a possibility but not 100% likely, he doesnt have a belly bloat with ribs, he's just ribs!

I agree that there isn't a huge belly, but he is so much more vulnerable and fragile in such a emaciated state that even a little case of worms is going to be hard on him. Not trying to argue, I just want him as healthy and taken care of as possible and unfortunately Ive seen way to many cases of abuse
sad.png

Quote:
We won't be worming him until the vet sees him - and even then we'll be starting that off slowly. I've heard too many scare stories. I have their emails relinquishing ownership of him filed away, a signed bill of sale, and will be adding the vets documentation, just in case. He's definitely here to stay.

Quote:
Previous owner told me they were floated within the last 6 mos, however my farrier and vet will both be checking his teeth Wednesday. He's basically just not had enough to eat since November. I'm going to ease him into the senior feed - he's not been getting anything but overgrazed pasture for the last 8 mos.
sad.png
Poor dude.

Quote:
Strategy is the best I have seen do wonders. I would really consider giving it a try. Although I am sure anything will be better then nothing and that seems that is all he has had. I am glad you took him in and he will be staying.

I really really don't understand how people let horses get this way. My animals always have the food they need period. I won't eat before them.

I can't wait for pics again.
hugs.gif

Poor guy! You are amazing for saving him. Hope he gets some weight on him soon.
smile.png
We took care of a few horses for a few months and one of the mares did the same thing with the halter, mostly cause she wanted to get out as soon as possible to get to the pasture.
tongue.png

So happy for you.

He was waiting for me at the gate this morning and gave me another smooch on the cheek before he dove into his bucket-o-breakfast with gusto. Apparently I make a mean alfalfa-cube-soup.
cool.png

He's with Gitana (our new thoroughbred) now, they're nearly identical in height, coloring, and temperament - both are very gentle souls. Yesterday things got touchy when the pony dared to poke his nose in Sarge's bucket, but with Gitana he's a southern gentleman - they were taking turns slurping soup and sharing an apple when I left the field.
wink.png

Quote:
That's what my trainer said (she went with me to get him). He looks horrible to me, but she and her husband insist they've seen far, far worse. We're glad we decided to just load up the trailer and drive down and get him - previous owners were supposed to deliver him but I was getting nervous waiting. She thinks another month and it may have been a dire situation - passing from severely underfed into full-blown emaciated.

But.... it's all over now and he's here to stay.
big_smile.png
The "trial basis" agreement was for me - in case there were severe undiscovered medical issues. But barring anything massive that we can't financially carry, he's not going anywhere. He's definitely feeling good - he was rolling in the grass yesterday with his feet in the air and trotting alongside Gitana. Always a good sign!

Last edited:
I have a 19 year old super hard keeper that I use Cool Calories 100 on also. It's a high calorie fat supplement that smells like vanilla that I mix in with her senior feed. You can talk to your vet about it. Here's a link to Horse.com where they sell it http://www.horse.com/item/start-to-finish-cool-calories-100/SLT900778/
I
like it because it's not too expensive requires no chewing and my horse loves it and it has certainly helped her keep her weight up
smile.png

Aprille

Back
Top Bottom