1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Save my sanity, please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Impress, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I have one lone little egg is sitting in my incubator. The others hatched the night before last, pretty close to one another, and had rolled and crammed this egg into the corner with their theatrics. I can hear clicking, I can hear chirping, I have been hearing this since yesterday when I held the egg up to my ear to listen for it. Do I leave it in there and hope it doesn't croak? Do I go whole hog and put a little hole in the egg for it? Should nature takes its course? It is a rocking, it is a rolling, it is a chirping and a pecking, but it can't seem to get a hole in that egg.

What do I do?

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I personally believe in not intervening unless they are almost out and just need a bit of help. If they cannot poke a hole I wouldn't help.

There are many who believe in intervening and many who do not.

They can take 3 days to hatch after the hatch day, but if you are planning to intervene then the chick may die, also, by then. So go with your gut, I say.

3. Impress

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    ARG! I will go back to trying to ignore the incubator then, I am hoping it is just waiting to make a dramatic exit! The chirps are very loud, and it is pecking steadily, so here is hoping it makes it out on its own! So tempting to just tap the edge of it like I am about to make breakfast, but it needs to do it on its own. PATIENT IMPRESS PATIENCE!

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree I don't intervene unless they are partially zipped. I have made the mistake of trying to help a pipped chick after it had been pipped for over 24hrs and not making any progress. I got the chick out but it only lived a few days.

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    X2

6. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    I helped last hatch. Chick zipped then stopped. Helping the hatch went fine but, it died 24 hours later. Its legs were deformed and that is why it couldn't get out not to mention extremely week. Two others were born with slipped tendon believe we had a vitamin deficiency problem. Anyway my point is as much as we feel like we should help I think maybe most of the time there is a reason they can't get out, like a deformity. It breaks my heart because, the two of my chicks that did make it out out even suffered. I hate to say this but, I think sometimes some of them aren't suppose to be born. Good luck I really hope it makes it out and everything is okay. I did have 14 hatch that were just fine and just wanted to let you know some hatched one day, then the next and then the next. So there is still hope.

Michelle

7. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    My neighbor had eggs laid on the same day hatch over 5 days- some early, some on time, some late. If the chirping and rocking is strong, you're in a good position. Just hang tough and let the little cutie come out on its own.

8. Impress

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Quote:Oh check it out, I got a spammer in my thread! Lucky me!

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    A spammer?!?

10. Impress

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I quoted the spam, but luckily for me, a moderator deleted the actual spam. Glad it wasn't something dirty and was just for massage chairs.

I AM GOING INSANE WATCHING THIS EGG, I have to think of a name for this little stinker if it does hatch, something smarmy for it making me wait all this time. Maybe Jerk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by