Save or Cull?

Padfoot417

Chirping
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Massachusetts
Hey all,
I'm really having an issue that I could use some advice with.
I have a Silver Laced Wyandotte rooster that I'm having trouble with.
He's a little over a year old,and has been terrorizing my hens,parents,and friends.
I raised this rooster from a tiny chick,and he's not tiny anymore,though his name is Peanut.
He's really ruined some of my hens,tearing out their feathers and making a couple of them bleed.
Unfortunately Peanut has also chased my parents on numerous occasions,and has attacked my dad several times,along with a neighbor and about 3 of my friends.
But to me Peanut is a total sweetheart,which brings me to my dilemma.I've never culled a chicken before,and I was really hoping Peanut wouldn't be the first.So I need help, advice,anything you guys can give me....I don't want to lose Peanut,but I don't know what else I can do.Please help me out guys.....thanks...

From what you have posted, I can see no redeeming qualities to this rooster. Human aggressive, hen aggressive - why would you want to keep him? There is a high chance that any cockerels he sires will be as obnoxious as he is. Cut your losses before someone gets seriously injured.

Ironically, our first cull was my daughter's SLW rooster named "Tracy". Tracy was supposed to be a pullet, but ended up a rooster. He was fine with me and my son (because we take care of the chickens), but attacked my two daughters any chance he could.

It was probably the hardest decision I've made with chickens because he was our first cull. I felt like a hit-woman for planning his death. Ugh! It was hard to do, but it also put things in perspective for me as far as chickens go. They're chickens - not people. Also, to have chickens means to take responsibility for their well being and the people around them.

If you try to find him another home they're also going to see that he's mean and probably cull him as well. The decision is yours and is probably going to be very difficult since I see you refer to him as your "baby" in your tagline. So sorry - it's going to be tough either way.

hugs.gif

I found a home for a nasty rooster with full disclosure he was going to be the replacement rooster on a free range group that was getting preyed on by hawks and foxes.

There is a chance he became dinner for a predator, but he was free and had girls (and was doing well last time I asked for pictures).

His score was three raised batches of chicks and one won hawk fight and only two lost hens at 6 months of work.

Here is my thinking. Seeing that I am the primary care taker of the flock I would have more of a problem with a rooster who attacks strangers and my family than me. My rooster squares off to me every now and then but I give him the info in who is boss.It is like having a dog that only likes you but growls at others. only a matter of time before they bite. That dog would be disposed of in short order. Rocky the roo has never confronted my kids or guests, if he ever did it would be his last act as a chicken other than Sunday fried chicken after church.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom