save the baby cocks!!!

cacknballs

Songster
5 Years
Apr 4, 2017
Republic of Tejas
My Coop
My Coop
so i have a 10-12 this year that turned out to be cocks... i'd keep them but ordinances say no ballers in the city limits. sucks, but i get it.

if anyone in central texas wants them, they're all yours. i have a red or two, several barred rocks, two leghorns, and a couple of what appear to be rir mixes. i have enjoyed drinking beer/watching the backyard cocks fights immensely this spring, and some of them are looking to be good fighters.

if no one wants them, bloody sunday is rapidly approaching. i don't really want to put in the time and effort to clean these guys as there really isn't enough meat on them yet to make it worth while. but i have to get rid of them and if they don't find good homes they aren't going to go to waste.

i'll try to get some pictures of them this evening and post 'em up.

let me know if you want them.

thanks.

so i have a 10-12 this year that turned out to be cocks... i'd keep them but ordinances say no ballers in the city limits. sucks, but i get it.

if anyone in central texas wants them, they're all yours. i have a red or two, several barred rocks, two leghorns, and a couple of what appear to be rir mixes. i have enjoyed drinking beer/watching the backyard cocks fights immensely this spring, and some of them are looking to be good fighters.

if no one wants them, bloody sunday is rapidly approaching. i don't really want to put in the time and effort to clean these guys as there really isn't enough meat on them yet to make it worth while. but i have to get rid of them and if they don't find good homes they aren't going to go to waste.

i'll try to get some pictures of them this evening and post 'em up.

let me know if you want them.

thanks.
Well, maybe you got a Chicken Auction with-in driving distance you can take them too. They sell Good in my area----higher than young layer hens it they are pretty and good size.

huh, never thought about that.

how do i found out about that?

tell me more. please and thank you.
Some advertise on craigslist, facebook, Auctionzip.com. You could probably place a add on craigslist in the 'Farm and Garden" section to see if anyone knows of one. Some are only once a month, some every week, swap meets like at tractor supply do happen in a lot of area's. The ones I attend are every Saturday. I have seen RIR roosters bring $22, other roosters like Lavender orpingtons, speckled Sussex, Blue-red laced, etc bring $25 to $35, but the average "grown" rooster in my area brings $10 to $15 most of the time(none of the few week to few month old cockerels bring hardly anything). Reason is Meat Buyers----yes if the meat buyer gets it-----its heading to someone's dinner table. The main meat buyer I know said most all of his goes to China-Town---he said the bigger and prettier the rooster the more it will bring for him. I told the meat buyer last Saturday night---I had rather sell him my big pretty rooster for $15 and go buy 3 or 4 chickens from the grocery store---ready to eat with that money---LOL.

Some advertise on craigslist, facebook, Auctionzip.com. You could probably place a add on craigslist in the 'Farm and Garden" section to see if anyone knows of one. Some are only once a month, some every week, swap meets like at tractor supply do happen in a lot of area's. The ones I attend are every Saturday. I have seen RIR roosters bring $22, other roosters like Lavender orpingtons, speckled Sussex, Blue-red laced, etc bring $25 to $35, but the average "grown" rooster in my area brings $10 to $15 most of the time(none of the few week to few month old cockerels bring hardly anything). Reason is Meat Buyers----yes if the meat buyer gets it-----its heading to someone's dinner table. The main meat buyer I know said most all of his goes to China-Town---he said the bigger and prettier the rooster the more it will bring for him. I told the meat buyer last Saturday night---I had rather sell him my big pretty rooster for $15 and go buy 3 or 4 chickens from the grocery store---ready to eat with that money---LOL.

huh...thanks for the info.

we put an ad on craiglist for free roosters, but didn't get much response. i thought surely i'd get some southsiders from san antonio who'd want them, but nothing.

i'll ask about the swap meets.

i don't need any money for these (although i wouldn't turn it down!), and i don't care if they end up on a plate...like i said, they may end up on my plate!!

thanks.

Last edited:
Another great place to get info is local Facebook groups. If there is any sort of farm related group they would know if there's a small animal auction in the area.

Back
Top Bottom