Saved a wild pigeon

poultrykeeper08

Songster
11 Years
Feb 12, 2008
Agawam , Ma
I was on my way bringing our yorkie puppy to the vet for her first shots . And i was going under an under pass when all of a sudden u seen somthing fall from the cieling (i know i didnt spell theat right). I looked at what had fell and seen it was a baby pigeon . Cars were flying right past it and didnt evern care . So i pulled over put the car in park grabbed the puppy and off we went . Luckily the little bird ran to the side of the street and hooped up on the curb . So with puppy in hand i bgan to try and herd the little thing into a corner where i grabbed it .

I looked around and mom and dad were no where to be found . And if i left it it would of got hit by a car or killed by a predator or a kid .

So now i have it inmy barn with the other pigeons . I fed it some seed as it wouldnt eat on its own . Its fully feathered with 1or2 little yellow hairs sticking off it head from when it was a chick

Thats very sweet of you to save it. I know we are suppose to leave wildlife alone but sometimes you have to intervene. I hope it goes well. I see that you have sebastopols I just looked at pictures of them today they are amazing..I begged my husband for a set and his answer was no and they look really expensive lol. Please let us know how the little one does.

Try to find a wildlife rehabilitator in your area. They may want to take the bird off your hands or they could at least give you some advice as how to raise it.

I'm sure ya know how to raise it already having pigeons, and you're legally allowed to keep wild pigeons so I say yay for you!
smile.png

Good for you! A lot of people don't care enough to stop like that.

Pigeons are one type of animal that does extremely well going from the wild to captivity. They are already mostly domesticated anyways! LOL I'm sure he'll get along great with your other pigeons.

Quote:
Ok to keep wild ones, but not legal to keep banded racing homers you find. Thats a federal law, not a State by state.

Since pigeons are not native, it is fine to keep it! Most rehabbers, at least in our area, will not take non-native animals so it is much better off with you.

Back
Top Bottom