Saved Ducklings Stuck in Storm Drain

-Kiwi-

eepy thing =w=
Premium Feather Member
Sep 13, 2020
your walls ;3
Yesterday I was enjoying my day at a local duck pond when I spotted a family of ducks crossing the road. They were having trouble getting up the curb and were running around frantically. Their running was taking them dangerously close to a storm drain nearby, and I just watched three of them disappear through the bars. I was horrified. Some other people had seen and called security to try to get them out. Security came and the guy said "This happened a while back. We don't have protocol for this so we just hoped they found their way out on their own." So we called the city police too. They said they'd figure out who to call. We checked back in later, when it was already dark, and we still heard them crying in the storm drain. Time to take matters into my own hands. And so, armed with a cloth shopping bag, a bungee cord, and two fishing rods, we managed to fish out all three little ducklings!!! We couldn't find Mama Duck but I assume she had a nest somewhere safe so we went home with them. We aren't too sure what to do. We aren't going to keep them because I know that mallard ducks are illegal to have so we're going to call around to wildlife rescues and see if they'll take them. Thoughts?

IMG_5738.jpg

This is a pic taken right after rescue. We put them in a McDonalds bag we had lying around lol. They were so tuckered out! I think they might be mixed breeds but I'm not a duck expert by no means. I'll take better pics later.

View attachment 2371655
This is a pic taken right after rescue. We put them in a McDonalds bag we had lying around lol. They were so tuckered out! I think they might be mixed breeds but I'm not a duck expert by no means. I'll take better pics later.
Awe!! That’s an awesome story! Thank you for sharing!!

We're going to try to reunite them with their mother, to the advice of a rescue we called. If she won't take them back, we'll take them to the wildlife clinic. Updated pics!
IMG_5739.jpg
IMG_5741.jpg

One of the reasons I thought they might not be pure mallard is because of their down color and their feet. They're down is a lavenderish yellow and their feet are a muddy orange. One has a really cute ink splotch on his webbing.

View attachment 2371655
We're going to try to reunite them with their mother, to the advice of a rescue we called. If she won't take them back, we'll take them to the wildlife clinic. Updated pics! View attachment 2371746View attachment 2371748
One of the reasons I thought they might not be pure mallard is because of their down color and their feet. They're down is a lavenderish yellow and their feet are a muddy orange. One has a really cute ink splotch on his webbing.

They are adorable! :love I hope their mom takes them back. :fl

Back
Top Bottom