Saved hen from hawk attack, please help

lizmc319

Chirping
Jan 31, 2019
I saved one our hens from a hawk yesterday and I'm really not sure what to do for her. She's inside and I made an electrolyte solution for her water. She seems in pretty good spirits and she's still eating and drinking and her poop looks normal. She has regular chicken feed, but I gave her a scrambled egg and some raw garlic last night. My biggest question is what to do with the wounds. Her back is basically bare and there are a couple smaller talon wounds and only one wound that's a bit bigger. I used peroxide and triple antibiotic on them last night, I'm just not sure if I should continue with the peroxide or just stick with the triple antibiotic after the initial clean. I also have some vetiricyn, but haven't used that on it yet. I figured the antibiotic was probably better to start with. I'm just not sure if there's other foods I should be doing as well and what the best way to clean the wounds is after the initial clean with peroxide. I appreciate any help and advice, I've never had to deal with something like this. We've lost chickens before, but they just disappeared, I've never actually witnessed and stopped an attack.
Thank you guys in advance!

Peroxide is fine for the first clean but I'd use something gentler after that. Peroxide kills healthy cells along with the icky so it can delay healing. I personally use betadine and I think vetiricyn is also a good one. Unfortunately with puncture wounds you have to make sure nothing's stuck in it. If the wound was already freely bleeding, you're set, but if it wasnt you'll want to make sure theres nothing in it. And then I would just keep her safe, clean and away from the rest of the flock.

I know the first picture is a little blurry, but she wouldn't hold still enough for a good picture of that side. Not that I blame her. This is the wound I'm most concerned about, but I'm also worried about the bump that I circled. I can't tell what's going on there, if anyone has any insight or further advice. The second picture is the only other bad looking spot and then there are 2 much smaller talon marks. I'll keep doing what we've been doing, but I appreciate any further help or advice 20201121_233615.jpg 20201121_184154.jpg

Can you try to use a damp paper towel to clean off that blood? Feel the bump that you circled. Does it feel like it's filled with liquid? air? Is it hard? Does she flinch when you touch it? What does it feel like?

Can you try to use a damp paper towel to clean off that blood? Feel the bump that you circled. Does it feel like it's filled with liquid? air? Is it hard? Does she flinch when you touch it? What does it feel like?
It didn't feel like liquid, it was hard and she flinches and pulls away when I get near that whole area. I can try to inspect it better, but I can tell it must hurt. I've tried cleaning it up more, but I think the only reason I could even get peroxide and antibiotic on it is because she was still in shock. It's hard to hold her still because there's a small talon mark under the opposite wing and that one right on the top of her back

It didn't feel like liquid, it was hard and she flinches and pulls away when I get near that whole area. I can try to inspect it better, but I can tell it must hurt. I've tried cleaning it up more, but I think the only reason I could even get peroxide and antibiotic on it is because she was still in shock. It's hard to hold her still because there's a small talon mark under the opposite wing and that one right on the top of her back
Do you live alone, or is there a way you could get someone else to hold her while you clean her, or vice versa?

Back
Top Bottom