Saving Blondies D.N.A.

BIGTEXIAN

Hatching
Jul 22, 2016
Here at Rising Creek Farm we have had a hard time keeping our free range chickens, a Fox has cut our flock down to 1 rooster and 2 hens and if things weren't bad enough the unthinkable happened, I have never heard of this, but a Bear broke through the roof of the coupe and ate my rooster and my prized Buff Orpington hen "Blondie". I thought her bloodline was tragically lost but my wife found one of her eggs on the counter and there may still be hope. That's the reason for this thread. I have left the rearing to the chickens but now I'm in a desperate situation trying to save Blondies D.N.A., the egg has been sitting on the kitchen counter at about 73-75 degrees for 2 days, tomorrow 7-23 will be 3 days. The Egg has been moved a few times but it has been laying on it's side. I now have the egg in a carton point side down. does anyone have any idea if there is any chance of hatching this egg? If so what should I do? I do not have an incubator or the money to get one right away, but I do have a brood lamp. Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You can hatch it (they're viable sitting out for at least ten days) but you're going to need an incubator. A lamp isn't going to work - you won't be able to keep the temperature stable, not to mention humidity. See if you can borrow an incubator from a friend or check craigslist for people selling them, or you could make a homemade one for fairly cheap. Tractor Supply also sells cheap $40 incubators but they're not the best.

Thank you for the advice and I agree, the research I do makes me realize I need an incubator, I will not be able to get on until Monday and it is friday night any suggestions on the best way to store the egg until then? I currently have it in an egg carton point down and a damp paper towel draped over it.

Thank you for the advice and I agree, the research I do makes me realize I need an incubator, I will not be able to get on until Monday and it is friday night any suggestions on the best way to store the egg until then? I currently have it in an egg carton point down and a damp paper towel draped over it.
I think the way you are storing it is fine. I just keep mine in the refrigerator. My hen last year hatched out 3 eggs. One was in the fridge for 3 days, another was in the fridge for 5 days, and the last in the fridge for 7+ days( I'm not exactly sure how long, but at least for 7 days). They all hatched completely fine, and were completely healthy. Plus I have 6 eggs in a incubator that had all been in the fridge. They are all developing fine. And the fridge in my house is about 35-45 degrees( a rough estimate since there isn't a thermometer). So I think you should still be able to hatch it. Good luck! And I hope you find a good incubator :)

Good luck!! You could also try a broody hen, but an incubator is a safer bet. You can always resell it afterwards if you don't get addicted to hatching ;)

Let us know how it goes
smile.png

@ Binki- I only have one hen left and she is still freaked out over the bear attack, poor Rose has PTSD, I ordered my incubator off ebay today, hopefully it will get here in time. I also found a clutch of eggs under my azalea bush, what a pleasant surprise that was I found 2 more eggs from my lost hen and 5 from the hen I have left so I will be keeping the incubator and building my flock back as fast as I can. I will definitely become addicted to hatching I can tell already, thanks for your response.

Last edited:
@BIGTEXIAN what a sad, amazing, incredible, and exciting story, all at once. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you'll keep us updated and post pictures if you have a successful hatch!

A few years back, my son and I made an incubator from a 1-cup ziplock bowl on the counter. We blocked it up under the under-cabinet light until a thermometer read the right temp. We placed egg on a small ER lid inside the bowl to keep it out of the small amount of water we kept in there for humidity. It hatched out ok. Then we bought an incubator. You can buy the little 3-egg incubators for $29.95 from magazine ads. They work well enough.

My new friends Rocco & Olive let me adopt their rooster Hero, he has settled in well and doing fantastic. I'm expecting my new incubator to come monday Aug 1st, I have 3 eggs from my Buff hen that I lost, 5 eggs from my current hen but fertilized from the rooster I lost and 2 so far fertilized by the new rooster "Hero", I know some of you expressed that you wanted updates and I surely have to tell my new little friends Rocco & Olive how their rooster is doing. Hopefully Hero will be a daddy soon. well as farm life dictates I'm off to bed for an early rise and I will keep posting updates as needed. Good night Rocco and Olive talk to you all later.

Back
Top Bottom