Saving duckling

Duckgirl97

Chirping
Apr 3, 2020
Okay guys I have a broody Indian runnner sitting on two eggs. I had 5 eggs that's hers in the incubator ready to hatch 24-48 hrs so put them under her. She excepted them until I went out this morning and one had hatched I knew it was going to within 12 hrs sure it did. It was out on the ground behind one of there feeders barely clinging to life. It looked dead. I thought it was and I picked it up and it took a deep breath so I brought it in and put it in incubator. She had pecked it and pecked it was bleeding and just helpless. He been incubator about 2 hrs. He is starting to come around. Obviously he has damage and wounds, but I notice the one side where most damage is it doesn't have movement in it's leg or foot. I have faith he can be saved but his leg has me worried. I can't believe she would do this to begin with. Her and my mallard have been/ was sitting, mallard hatched 6 and I saved one egg which would have been 7 they rolled out of nest cracked shell and all. Two of those babies have died. Now this one is being saved. Indian runner is still sitting. The two are Co parenting. Im worried about the rest of she doesn't except them. Why would she Peck it to death. I was thinking maybe it wasnt soppose to hatch, maybe she thinks it was early Hatcher. Anyway about the leg deal what can be done?

Can you post a picture of the wound? I had a broody Muscovy that attacked her just hatched duckling around the head I had to take it from her I have no idea why they do this she did let her other duckling get half way out before she killed it. I def would be ready to take any more that hatch or take the eggs and finish hatching in the bator. Could be also her in the Mallard were fighting over the duckling?

Okay guys I have a broody Indian runnner sitting on two eggs. I had 5 eggs that's hers in the incubator ready to hatch 24-48 hrs so put them under her. She excepted them until I went out this morning and one had hatched I knew it was going to within 12 hrs sure it did. It was out on the ground behind one of there feeders barely clinging to life. It looked dead. I thought it was and I picked it up and it took a deep breath so I brought it in and put it in incubator. She had pecked it and pecked it was bleeding and just helpless. He been incubator about 2 hrs. He is starting to come around. Obviously he has damage and wounds, but I notice the one side where most damage is it doesn't have movement in it's leg or foot. I have faith he can be saved but his leg has me worried. I can't believe she would do this to begin with. Her and my mallard have been/ was sitting, mallard hatched 6 and I saved one egg which would have been 7 they rolled out of nest cracked shell and all. Two of those babies have died. Now this one is being saved. Indian runner is still sitting. The two are Co parenting. Im worried about the rest of she doesn't except them. Why would she Peck it to death. I was thinking maybe it wasnt soppose to hatch, maybe she thinks it was early Hatcher. Anyway about the leg deal what can be done?
Sadly the baby duckling didn't make it.

Back
Top Bottom