Saving eggs for incubation...?

55 degrees is good - but room temperature will be fine too - so long as you turn them 3x per day.

I keep mine in the basement next to the incubator and in an egg carton.

I have read a couple of different articles that suggest that temps below 80.6, but above freezing, are just fine. Most folks seem to say that 55 degrees is best. Anything above that 80.6, though, and the blastodisc commences operation! I keep my eggs in an unheated closet, which seems to stay around 65 degrees -- and my fertility and hatch rates seem to be just great.

Also, 7 to 10 days seems to be the standard suggestion for how long eggs will stay viable, but hatch rates only start to decline, and marginally, by about day 10. One article I read said that hatch rates decrease only about 3-5% per day starting on the tenth day, so if you set 10 eggs in your bator on day 11 you could still expect to hatch 9-10 chicks, assuming everything else went the right way. Ive heard of people having 50% hatch rates after four or five weeks of collecting eggs, though I'd never want to take that chance, and hopefully never will.
smile.png

Best of luck!

I kept mine in an egg carton on the floor in the dining room in a dark corner out of the way.

The carton was propped up a bit on one end and I would turn the carton throughout the day as I would pass through the dining room.

I kept them for about 14 days only because I wasn't sure if I was going to hatch them or just give them to the dogs.

I ended up throwing them all into the incubator and they all hatched (except for the 5 unfertile eggs from a new young pullet).

smile.png

Quote:
That's how I do it. Temps in the high 60s to low 70s. I keep mine for at least 10 - 15 days and the only eggs that don't hatch were either infertile (very few) and/or fully developed but died before pipping (2-4 each hatch).

Quote:
That's how I do it. Temps in the high 60s to low 70s. I keep mine for at least 10 - 15 days and the only eggs that don't hatch were either infertile (very few) and/or fully developed but died before pipping (2-4 each hatch).

Yep!
thumbsup.gif

Also, the egg turner (without heat) is also a good idea if you're not using it for hatching and you don't mind using the extra electricity.

Back
Top Bottom