Saving Feet or Heads for Chicken Stock

Has anyone saved the chicken feet or heads for making stock? I would like to do this, but none of my books have any information about this in the processing chapters.

I use the feet, not the heads. I'm not sure how you would get the feathers off the heads.

If you scald the feet, the toenails and the skin will slip off pretty easily, so you get clean feet.

We use the skeleton.. feet and heads IMHO are a little bit creepy esp. after thinking what our birds would step in... LOL..
roll.png

Quote:
I haven't used the heads but I use the feet. Make sure you peel the skin and the toenails off. It comes off with the scalding water, easily, like a glove. Makes amazingingly rich stock!
I just canned 12 pints from one chicken last week and I'll be canning again tomorrow. Considering I only buy the $3.00 a quart, low-sodium, organic broth, this stuff is high value for me. One pint of mine makes at least one quart of the store bought, due to the richness.

We processed our first batch of meat chickens last summer and I saved ALL the feet and necks to make chicken stock. It was the best stock I have ever had - thick, rich, and yummy in risotto!!! I lived in Spain for a year and found it to be pretty common to make stock from feet. And my husband has memories from his childhood (Hungarian mother) of chicken feet simmering on the stove.

I scalded the feet briefly and slipped off the socks, then clipped the tips of the toes. I sort of followed the tutorial on this website by roasting the meat and veggies, then letting the entire thing simmer for about 20 hours.

It's worth the effort. And, when my kids came down with terrible colds, it was the perfect base for a healthy soup to make them feel better.
smile.png

I wanted to also mention that I ate chicken feet (phoenix talons) at a Chinese dim sum restaurant in NYC and they weren't my cup of tea!

Last edited:
Quote:
I want to know this as well! Im going to learn to can this year

Ive read about using the feet, but Im not sure I could do it. We'll see haha

Quote:
I use the Ball Complete Book. 10 pounds of pressure for 20 minutes for pints, 25 minutes for quarts if you're less than 2,000 feet in altitude. The National Canning and Food Preservation website also has complete instructions, including details on how to use your pressure canner and lots of recipes. It says 11 pounds but I think that's because it is a safety issue in case you use a dial gauge, which can be up to two pounds off. I have weights, which come in 5-10-15 pounds. Seems silly to round up to 15 pounds so I went with the Ball recommendations, which are also considered current and safe. I have the newest Ball book, BTW, which is important in canning, I think.

Back
Top Bottom