Saving Liver, Gizzard etc when processing for stock???

jamband

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2011
I know you can save the heart, liver, gizzard, feet, some fat etc.......but what do you all do with it while processing???in other words. you process one throw it in the cooler....but what about the rest? is ok sitting out while you do more birds or should it be chilled to?

I have been considering using mine to make a fishing bate to sell on the side. Just cause I like to fish too! LOL:cool:

I clean the gizzard when I get it out, remove the gallbladder and put all the good eating organs in a ziplock bag to float in the cooler with ice water while continuing to process the bird. They only take a minute and the faster I cool them the better. I like them to stay separate since they are used for stock and dog food. U also throw the neck and cleaned feet in a baggy for stock.

I keep a couple pots of ice water and toss all the necks and organs in there, then separate them into ziploc bags and toss them in the ice chests with the chickens when we are all done.

thanks all......hey what about saving some of the inner fat? anyone do that? I think you can add it to the stock pot but I would assume the fat from 10-15 chickens would be a bit much for the stock pot........I just hate to waste anything that can be used before I let the soldier flies have at it.

we do ours in batches of 5-6 at a time, putting the gizzards in a pile as the chickens are cleaned out and put in the chill tub. when the chickens are in, we cut the gizzards open, peel out the lining and toss into the chill tank before we start our next batch. it's meat, treat it like you would any other meat
smile.png

little bit of barbeque flavor shake and bake and in the oven, (i know, cheap and not very sophisticated, but i love them this way) and it's all good
smile.png

Quote:
A lot of people render the fat and. Use it for cooking. Might try the recipe section of the forum, too. I haven't done it but these last there Cornish Xs I butchered, at 12 weeks, made me think I should. They were way fat! One 7.5 pounder I roasted in my Dutch oven after all the excess fat and skin was trimmed still had about 3 inches of fat on the bottom of the pan.
I believe if the fat is properly rendered, it would be good for things like piecrust, although maybe not as good of quality as pork lard or beef suet.

Back
Top Bottom