Saw my chickens going at something flapping around...

Henschickspups

Songster
Apr 3, 2023
And went outside to see this. What do I get for keeping him from being a chicken snack? Turned into a cardinal snack. No clue how they even got in, but this guy was too tired/panicked to fly out of the door with his girlfriend.

Attachments

• 20230516_170716.jpg
    20230516_170716.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 39
  • 20230516_171337.jpg
    20230516_171337.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 20
Oh no! It’s a good thing you were there to save them!

My chickens I have now have not been able to catch any birds, however my last flock’s coop allowed small birds such as sparrows to get in, and sometimes I’d go out there to find birds flying around the cage trying to escape, and other times I’d see some dead on the ground :(. That hasn’t happened with the coop I have now, but I’m hoping it’ll stay that way!

This pair has gotten in twice now. The first time though, I had the door to the coop hanging wide open while they were free ranging. They have to be juveniles, with how small they are.

And they were out there again this morning, sitting on my chair in front of the chicken run. I'm guessing they're after the scratch.

Does anyone know how far away a wild bird feeder should be to reduce chances of them infected the chickens with something, or vice versa?

I'm surprised we don't yet. We have them all over our yard. Though last night I did see a raccoon butt walking back into the trees from the corner of the run. Made sure to take the dogs out and let them pee all around the outside of the run, and then make lots of racket near the treeline. 🫤 so we'll also be keeping an eye on that.

Back
Top Bottom