Saw this on CL....what do you all think?

smcjoj3

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 10, 2011
Rocky Point NC
I hope posting this isnt against some rule & I apologize if it is....
I was looking for goats on Craigslist and saw this posting. I didnt know what to make of it, and started to write a long email to the person about this forum, but then figured that may up being confusing for them if they don't know how to navigate around here or something, so I thought I'd just post & see what responses it would get......

I had a banty hen hatch out 5 chicks about 12 days ago. They were all healthy at first then after a week one of the chicks started to have trouble walking and then even standing - his body also trembled and shook as if he was cold, he either would not or could not eat and his eyes appeared dull not bright and shiney. Now what ever this is, has progressively happened to 3 more of the chicks - there is no diarhea or other abnormalady with their stools. I have put all of them on tetracycline in their drinking water and am feeding them a medicated chick starter feed. They have been reared in a small outdoor pen by the mother bird (which successfully hatched and reared 4 chicks last fall). I have scoured the internet but can not find any information on possible causes of my sick birds.

Any information anyone might care to share would be appreciated.

My first instinct was that not all chicks survive and sometimes this just happens, but then didnt know if that was right?! What do you all think?

I think your first thought was good. I would tell them about BYC because just by doing a search on this site he would be more likely to find out more things then anyplacce else.

Thanks, after I originally posted I emailed the person and told them about BYC, hopefully they will wander over & say hello! I think this place is so helpful & encouraging. It's full of great people & loads of awesome information!

Back
Top Bottom